how to merge subsonic to madsonic

Need help? Post your questions here.
beninho
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

how to merge subsonic to madsonic

Unread post by beninho »

Hi all,

I've been using subsonic for a few years. Now I want te merge subsonic to a new madsonic install.

My platform is ubuntu 12.04.4 32 bit with subsonic 4.9
The new install is unbutu 12.04.4 64 bit --> with a fresh installation of madsonic.

The thing I cannot find out is, how can I migrate without the need to create new accounts for the existings users?

thanks for the support!
beninho

Re: how to merge subsonic to madsonic

Unread post by beninho »

I know I can backup my subsonic database, but is still enough? I thing that I could break the install because of the differnces between subsonic and madsonic..

Can anyone confirm?
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Unread post by Madsonic »

hi there,

i dont try this with the final subsonic 4.9 version but it should work
  • 01. stop madsonic service
    02. backup! (zip or copy) your old subsonic/madsonic installation (in your case c:\subsonic) !!!
    03. move your backup to a save place
    04. uninstall all Madsonic installation
    05. delete all old traces -> (c:\subsonic, c:\madsonic, c:\supersonic and \var\subsonic, \var\madsonic, \var\supersonic)
    06. make a new madsonic installation
    07. after installation the service will automatically start (new DB will created)
    08. stop madsonic service
    09. delete DB folder again (in your case c:\madsonic\db or \var\madsonic\db)
    10. delete settings file (madsonic.properties)
    11. copy your backup (DB folder and subsonic.properties only!) into your madsonic installation folder (c:\madsonic\)
    12. rename subsonic.properties to madsonic.properties
    13. restart Madsonic service
    14. Madsonic detect automatically the db version and will upgrade to newest Madsonic db structure layout
    15. possibly it can't hurt to go through all your settings and even press the save button on every settings page
    16. make a Full Scan Mediascan
    17. hopefully all is done
best regards
the_tox

Unread post by the_tox »

beninho, did this work for you on 4.9?

I'm running my subsonic installation on FreeNAS with great results, so the next step would be to upgrade to Madsonic... but I am reluctant to have to set EVERYTHING back up (users, podcasts, etc).
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

There are never any guarantees...

With all the different hardware and variations possible with each platform, it just isn't possible to say that any one installation won't run into difficulties. That's why STEP 2 in the above operation is so important. If your data files are PROPERLY backed up, then even if the upgrade fails, it shouldn't be a problem restoring your original setup regardless of which Subsonic platform you're currently using.

I do this all the time using the Tomcat version on Windoze. Although I occasionally run into a hiccup or two, I've always been able to get things upgraded. Never a big loss if you ALWAYS back up your data before you start.

Ideally, the best approach is to be able to do these things on test platforms that don't disrupt your production installation, but I do realize that most users don't have those resources. On my network I use a central storage server that can be accessed by multiple instances of Mad/Sub sonic that are installed to VM's. Great way to do it if you have the hardware. I built most of my infrastructure by watching for bargains on ebay, adding a little at a time until I now have a decent server farm capable of spooling up a VM whenever needed. For my setting this was as much an education project for myself and my family as it was anything that made practical sense. In reality, and hindsight, with what I've invested over the years, I could have probably just subscribed to any of the cloud subscription based music services and saved tons of $$$ - but - at the expense of privacy.

YMMV - HTH
These users thanked the author GJ51 for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
the_tox

Unread post by the_tox »

Of course, I know there are no guarantees. It's just that I'm using the same version, and my biggest concern is retaining all of the user accounts, so if madsonic had no issues interpreting the subsonic.properties file (renamed), then I'd have a good indication that it would work. I can definitely get madsonic running... I just don't want to have to re-add all the user accounts. If re-adding the user accounts is just something I'll have to do, then I'll just set aside more time for the process :)