WTV playback quality problem

Need help? Post your questions here.
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

WTV playback quality problem

Unread post by GJ51 »

I have a rather large library of WTV files that my kids like to access when they are away at school. I've been doing this for several years and the one obstacle that keeps me having to maintain a Subsonic site rather than just going to Madsonic for all my sites is the WTV playback.

I have another test to run to determine if Java may be involved, but for now, I have a Madsonic site and a Subsonic site running nearly identical configurations:

Madsonic

Version 5.0.3860
Server Apache Tomcat/7.0.52, java 1.7.0_51, Windows Server 2012 (347.8 MB / 436.5 MB)

Subsonic

Version 4.9 (build 3819) – January 23, 2014
Server Apache Tomcat/6.0.37, java 1.7.0_25, Windows Server 2012 (153.8 MB / 379.1 MB)

Media folders access the same files. Transcode settings are identical:

Videoffmpeg -ss %o -i %s -async 1 -b %bk -s %wx%h -ar 44100 -ac 2 -v 0 -f flv -vcodec libx264 -preset superfast -threads 0 -

Playback in Subsonic is clear and crisp even at 1000kbps. These are 1080i WTV recordings and look as they should in Subsonic.

Playback in Madsonic is degraded noticeably. Picture is jagged and blocky looking even at 15000kbps playback.

This has been a persistent problem for some time over many installations using different versions of Java and Tomcat. I would love to get this solved on Madsonic so I can drop Subsonic entirely.

If anyone else has encountered the same issue, any input would be appreciated.
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Re: WTV playback quality problem

Unread post by Madsonic »

hi there,

Q:

which platform windows or linux?
Did you try other/newer ffmpeg versions?
can you provide examples or screenshots?

i know that many transcoding problems exists around video formats and protocols, ffmpeg version and OS depended problems.

Hopefully with the new Madsonic 5.1 release i can complete fix this up.

some good points will be:

*) complete HSQLDB Upgrade to 3.2.3
*) big security updates with Spring Framework 3.2.x

*) complete support HTML5/FLASH Audio/Video playback - multisupport (JWPlayer/Mediaelement/HTML5 native)
*) complete rework & simplify transcoding to MP4(MKV)/WEBM/FLV MP3/OGG
*) support for Google Chromecast & Amazon Fire TV

best regards
These users thanked the author Madsonic for the post:
GJ51
Rating: 7.69%
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

OS - Windows Server 2012 R2

ffmpeg - Tested several versions - currently using latest 64 bit drop from Zeranoe. I have also tested 32 bit versions.

I'll try to get some screenshots up later today.

I've also tested multiple variations of the transcode string.

I am hoping that at some point we do get a unified platform that handles it all - thanks for all the hard work. I can also post a sample wtv for you to download if you want.

Thanks,

Gary
These users thanked the author GJ51 for the post:
Madsonic
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Unread post by Madsonic »

hi there,

i found the bug, the problem is the dimension of the videofile, it will be wrong evaluated, in your case you got (200x113) instead of 1920x1080
the transcoding set this value as render size of the video, meanwhile you can override this with the ffmpeg option: -s 1280x720

I will continue researching why this wrong value is returned.

best regards
These users thanked the author Madsonic for the post:
GJ51
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

Spot on Marty! I bumped it up to 1920x1080 and it's super! Looks just like it should on a 24" monitor. I know your busy with the next upgrade, but when you get a breather I want to work with you on live TV feeds to Madsonic from my network cable TV tuner. We've got a lot of it worked out already. We have it working using a Silicon Dust HD Home Run Prime and piping it to Subsonic, but we are using the channels as mp3 files which makes the site dedicated to the TV feeds.

We want to work on full integration so that live TV can be added into Madsonic with all of our other media libraries.

For another time ...

Thanks again for the recorded TV solution. Very much appreciated.

Once my PayPal acct. recovers a bit I'll thank you properly.
These users thanked the author GJ51 for the post:
Madsonic