High Garbage Collector activity

Need help? Post your questions here.
oursbrun
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

High Garbage Collector activity

Unread post by oursbrun »

Hi all,

Do anyone had some trouble with high CPU usage on a ARM based computer (mine is a cubox-i4 pro running archlinux) due to high java garbage collector activity ?

Best
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Re: High Garbage Collector activity

Unread post by GJ51 »

How long has it been running? I have seen posts that low powered cpu's seem to max out until things settle out after initial installation.
oursbrun
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by oursbrun »

Hi,

As long as I do not stress the server with streaming client request (iSub on iphone 5) it seems that the load stay at reasonable level (almost 0% cpu).
When I start actually using madsonic server and then stop for let says 3 our 4 hours, the four cpus are going full throttle ... constantly.

I 've seen this behavior with subsonic as well ...

To be honest I'm not sure if it is absolutely related to the garbage collector, but every 2 sec there is a garbage collecting report in the logs ...
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

I'm on windows and I don't see anything similar to what you're seeing. You're on Linux with a rather low power CPU, so it's a bit of a different environment. I tend to suspect that this isn't anything particular to Madsonic but may, in fact, be more of a OS related issue and how your OS and Java are set up.

I'm running the Tomcat/war on Windows which does have some similarities to Linux versions, but I have used Linux and set up Subsonic a few times and didn't see anything like what you're describing.

Hopefully some of our resident Linux experts have some thoughts.