Browse by folder names (Artist - Album)

Need help? Post your questions here.
pinkmoon
Has thanked: 0

Browse by folder names (Artist - Album)

Unread post by pinkmoon »

Just got this up and running, only when I browse on mobile (WP8 or iPhone), I choose top level folder as usual, but then all albums are shown by title (Album) and not folder name (Artist - Album), as before. Any way to change this back?
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Browse by folder names (Artist - Album)

Unread post by GJ51 »

Settings/General

Page down and check the options you want for sorting.
pinkmoon

Thanks, found it - although do I need to rescan for it to take effect, as so far doesn't appear to have? Also, what's the 'Sort MediaFile Folder Selector' do?
Thanks!
Sent from my RM-821_apac_malaysia_316 using Tapatalk
pinkmoon

Still doesn't seem to be showing up as I've named the folders (i.e. "artist - album (year)". Options I can see re sorting are:
  • Sort albums by foldernames
    Sort MediaFile Folder Selector
    Sort files by filenames
The first one would seem to be the obvious choice, but tried this and didn't seem to work/make any difference. As for the second option, don't understand what this means (in help tip)..? Also, seems occasional folder IS named as above.

Either way, do I need to do a complete rescan or should the usual nightly update fix this (if needed at all, i.e. is it otherwise an instant change)..?

Could someone please help me out here?

Thanks ;)
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

Sort albums by foldernames - This should do what it says, it should set up browsing by foldername, i.e. Abba, Beatles, Cream etc. - best set up for this option is to have files organized as X:\Music\Artist\Album\tracks

Sort MediaFile Folder Selector - I think this just organizes your media Folder Selector Alphabetically, i.e. When you open the folder pick list at the top left column, it's alpha sorted rather than the order you entered them in Settings/Media folders

Sort files by filenames - Alpha sort individual tracks by name rather than their order in the folder.

I just be guessing on these - haven't actually verified it myself.

Sometimes when you make these changes, it's a good idea to clear browser caches, and run a "Clean db" and a rescan. Also keep in mind that if your running the Techdemo beta or Preview, some features may be temporarily disabled foe development purposes. Things should work properly in the 5.0 final release.

HTH
pinkmoon

Ok, thanks. Will do clean/update DB and see if that works. Meanwhile, surely it wouldn't matter if I've set up my folders as above, do you think?
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

I've always had mine set up that way.
pinkmoon

Just been forced to do complete OS and madsonic reinstall (!) and same problem is back (gave up trying to fix on previous OS).

FYI strangely, one of my folders seems AOK, but can't see any settings that would affect this ddiferently.

Anyone any ideas what I need to do to sort this..?

Thanks.
pinkmoon

Small update: still not got to bottom of this, but noticed some folders appear correctly, whilst others just appear as album name (in the same parent folder/folder location/drive).

My only hope now is that it is (for some strange reason) a 'feature' that's been disabled in the beta, but surely makes no sense.

Again, appealing to all Madsonic fans/experts out there to help me get to the bottom of this bizarre conundrum?! :?
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

pinkmoon wrote:Small update: still not got to bottom of this, but noticed some folders appear correctly, whilst others just appear as album name (in the same parent folder/folder location/drive).

My only hope now is that it is (for some strange reason) a 'feature' that's been disabled in the beta, but surely makes no sense.

Again, appealing to all Madsonic fans/experts out there to help me get to the bottom of this bizarre conundrum?! :?
It's a bit hard to tell exactly what's going on without a specific accurate description of how your music library is structured.

As I mentioned a few posts back I have mine set up X:\music\Artist\Album\Track.ext - which has always worked very well in all versions of Subsonic and Madsonic going back to ver. 3.8 of Subsonic.

You describe your post as (Artist - Album). Does this mean you're not creating album subfolders? Please provide a clear description of yor structure with an example or two so it's easier to understand what's going on.
These users thanked the author GJ51 for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
pinkmoon

Well, I've never had this issue with default subsonic. My structure has always been as below:

Drive:\Music\New [etc]\Artist\Artist- Album (Year)

Or where there is only one album by said artist in any given folder:

Drive:\Music\Jazz [etc]\Artist - Album (Year)

Don't see why this should really be an issue with Madsonic..?

Thanks.
caveman
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by caveman »

I may report the same problem.
Folders named the way: "Artist - Album (Year)" are sometimes displayed well like the foldername in the filesystem - but sometimes without the artist part!
I cannot se any difference ...
MADSONIC 5.1.5200.20141017.1252