LDAP not working

Need help? Post your questions here.
troycarpenter

LDAP not working

Unread post by troycarpenter »

I cannot for the life of me get LDAP to work. I have successfully configured other programs to use my LDAP server, but in this case, I don't even think Madsonic is even trying to communicate with the server. Running the latest 5.1.4800.beta2 on an MINT 17 linux server, but I couldn't get this to work in previous releases either.

I have configured LDAP following many of the different online examples. The LDAP server is a dirsrv server which is part of a Kolab installation (http://www.kolab.org). I have the following settings which are customized for the Kolab LDAP server:

LDAP URL: ldap://mail.example.org:389/ou=people,dc=example,dc=org
LDAP search filter: (uid={0}) <- I don't know if this is right for the Kolab schema
LDAP manager DN: uid=kolab-service,ou=Special Users,dc=example,dc=org

Password has been entered, but it appears blank on screen; however I see an encrypted password in the madsonic.properties file. LDAP enabled checkbox is checked, as well as the auto create one.

The reason I don't think this is even trying to talk to my LDAP server is that I have a tcpdump running on the madsonic server, using the LDAP server IP and port 389 as the filter. If I try to log in with a LDAP user that is not in the madsonic database, I instantly get returned to the login screen. The tcpdump count remains at zero.

I know the tcpdump is working because if I run an ldapsearch query on the madsonic server from the command line, the tcpdump counter goes up by 14.

I've also noticed that the authenticate user with LDAP box doesn't stick when modifying users. However, if I modify that flag directly in the database, that user cannot log in and the tcpdump count doesn't increase.

So before I can even troubleshoot any possible authentication and/or lookup issues, I need to get Madsonic to try to talk to LDAP server before I can do that.
These users thanked the author troycarpenter for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Re: LDAP not working

Unread post by Madsonic »

Hi there,

LDAP authentication is broken with new Spring Security release, will be fixed with 5.1 final.

best regards
These users thanked the author Madsonic for the post:
GJ51
Rating: 7.69%
troycarpenter

Unread post by troycarpenter »

Thanks for the info. I look forward to the fix!
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator

Hi there,

Good News, In the last days I've been working on a new LDAP Authentication for Spring Security 3.2.5 and now it's working well with
Microsoft AD LDAP and Apache DS LDAP, will be implemented with Madsonic 5.1 Final Release.

Best regards
These users thanked the author Madsonic for the post (total 2):
DoCCMetzlmane
Rating: 15.38%
albebert
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by albebert »

some news about LDAP Auth ?
Metzlmane

Unread post by Metzlmane »

i'm also interested :mrgreen:
albebert

Unread post by albebert »

up.

plz Mad reply :)
BurntTech

Unread post by BurntTech »

I'm also very interested in getting this back.

Thanks,
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator

at the moment it is removed (security and compatibility reasons), but will come back with madsonic v6.

Best regards
larry.hanks

Unread post by larry.hanks »

Hello,

First I want to say that I really appreciate the work you've done on Madsonic. It's a totally awesome system.

I do want to add to others that have posted here that I would really love to see LDAP return soon. While I'll admit that I don't understand the compatibility and security issues that you said exist, I trust that you speak the truth and have good reasons for not having LDAP for now. With that said, I completely rely on LDAP for my configuration. I'm still running on version 5.0.3880 as it's the last version I'm aware of that still works with LDAP. Google Chrome now has released an update that is breaking the web access on Madsonic to the point that I no longer can use it with Google Chrome.

Is there any way that we can manually re-enable LDAP or do something that would allow us to use it? Is there anything we, as the community of Madsonic, can help you in making this happen? I would really love to update my Madsonic system but can't do it until an LDAP version is available.

Can the Madsonic community donate more money to you in order to help you with this process? I would gladly donate again to you in order to see this feature come back in a new version. Anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Thank you!
Larry