Folders are missing or dissappear

Need help? Post your questions here.
jk7gr

Folders are missing or dissappear

Unread post by jk7gr »

Hi Madsonic,
I am great fan of your builds and follower for many years now.

I am facing the very same issue for some time now and I have tested everything you can imaging from folder parsing to sorting and rescanning of the database.

The source of the issue are situations where the Album Tab is the same on the different folders containing mp3s inside an Albumset.
On my example I have the very same album as mixed and unmixed songs together with their split version of the songs. It seems that although Subsonic can display all 3 folders Madsonic can only display 2.
screenshot from Subsonic
screenshot from Subsonic
2014-09-23 17_27_51-Clipboard.png (11.19 KiB) Viewed 5888 times
Screenshot from Madsonic
Screenshot from Madsonic
If it would be possible to switch views of folder structure from ID3Tag to folder name I think the issue would be gone. Do you think this can be an option?

Kind Regards,
John
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Re: Folders are missing or dissappear

Unread post by Madsonic »

hi there,

disable this option > Settings > General > AlbumSet/Folder Parsing
and a full media rescan is required. This should fix your problems.
parse.png
parse.png (50.67 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
best regards
jk7gr

Unread post by jk7gr »

Hi Madsonic,
maybe was not clear from my initial message but I have already disabled the Albumset/Folder parsing but it is not working as expected.

Kind regards,
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

There are a couple things that could be going on.

1. I'm not sure about Linux, but Windows has a total character length for the complete filename of 255 characters. It doesn't happen often, but if you're structure is too deeply nested you might be bumping into that limit.

2. From what's visible in your screenshots it looks like you may be using a small number of folders with a large number of files per folder. That's not an efficient setup for a large library as a large number of folder with relatively few files in each works much better. If that's relevant it may just be taking a lot of time to process files for display.

HTH

It would also be helpful to see what your screen shot has compared to the one posted above. (Same screen from your server)
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by gurutech »

GJ51 wrote:There are a couple things that could be going on.

1. I'm not sure about Linux, but Windows has a total character length for the complete filename of 255 characters. It doesn't happen often, but if you're structure is too deeply nested you might be bumping into that limit.
Default on Linux is 255 character for file name, 4096 for full path (unless your Linux partition is NTFS, then it's 255 total...)
These users thanked the author gurutech for the post:
GJ51
Rating: 7.69%
jk7gr

Unread post by jk7gr »

GJ51 wrote:There are a couple things that could be going on.

2. From what's visible in your screenshots it looks like you may be using a small number of folders with a large number of files per folder. That's not an efficient setup for a large library as a large number of folder with relatively few files in each works much better. If that's relevant it may just be taking a lot of time to process files for display.

HTH

It would also be helpful to see what your screen shot has compared to the one posted above. (Same screen from your server)
Dear friend. The case is not related at all with the 255 characters length. The way I see it is like the name of the folder is defined with the Album value of the songs that are inside that folder. Though in cases like mine where I keep the same album with mixed and unmixed versions as the Album value is remain the same on both folders finally only one entry is displayed.

In the end the below happens:

Folder Structure (windows explorer)
Album
|- mixed
|- unmixed

Folder Structure (Madsonic)
Album Folder Name
|- Album Title (from ID3 Tag)
|- ...... (entry is missing)
These users thanked the author jk7gr for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%