Network drive not found

Need help? Post your questions here.
skopo
Contributor
Contributor

Network drive not found

Unread post by skopo »

Hello

I'm running Windows 7 on VMware and I have mounted folder with VMware shared folders.
Windows finds the drive (Z:) everything works.
New 5.1 Final Madsonic says: Folder not found

Is this issue with VMware? or Madsonic?
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Network drive not found

Unread post by GJ51 »

This is a fairly well known issue, but it's not often discussed here. It was well documented in the Subsonic forums and the installation tutorials over there. A Tutorial section and installation instructions for Windows and Linux are in the works and hopefully aren't too far off.

The answer is pretty simple if you're familiar with Windows services and how to edit the logon permissions for the service.

Two things need to be done.

First, Madsonic will not use a mapped drive. In order to access a folder on a network drive you must use UNC shares, i.e. make the directory where the music is stored a shared folder such as \\Music.

Second, edit the madsonic service by opening control panel - Administrative Tools - and then open the Services MMC. Locate the Madsonic service and double click to open it. Click on the Log On tab. You will see that by default the service uses the local system account which won't have access rights to your network share. Click on "This account" and enter credentials that have rights to the network share.

If you use Tomcat on Windows you would just do the same thing, but for the Apache Tomcat service.

HTH - let me know if you have trouble.
These users thanked the author GJ51 for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
skopo
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by skopo »

Thanks!

I got this working with
"\\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Seagate2000\Madsonic\Musiikki"

Didn't have to touch services I think because vmware.

This might be the most stupid server setup ever because I have hackintosh "MacPro" that runs Windows 7 over VMware Fusion....
These users thanked the author skopo for the post:
Madsonic
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

LOL - sounds like quite the project.

Keep in mind that Windows has a 255 character limit on total file definition. When you use long pathnames you get closer to bumping up against that. Glad to see you/r up and running.
These users thanked the author GJ51 for the post:
Madsonic