Some podcast related stuff

Need help? Post your questions here.
DoCC
Contributor
Contributor

Some podcast related stuff

Unread post by DoCC »

Hi folks, Madevil ,

i figured out an issue with the podcastdownloader which is a terrible pain in the ass ..

If you collect your pc-feeds over a large amount of time ... there might be podcasts with 200+ entries and filesizes about 100 - 200 each .
With setting up a new Madsonic release i.e. 4.x > 5.0 or 5.0 > 5.1 , you are able to manually copy the podcastsettings from the subsonic / madsonic.script file

BUT there is one bloody bug that madsonic ( and subsonic as well ) is not able to handle.
the podcast reciever should be able to scan his directories. it should be possible to recognize already leeched files.
instead of checking whats on, the reciever just starts downloading ALL the stuff again and saves it with an tailing 0 ...

for my server this means ca 60 GB traffic useless wasted ...

further on i'd like to know if mad would be able to store the podcasts within an dedicaed db file ... this would be a really nice improvement.

thx for listening : )
These users thanked the author DoCC for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
DoCC
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Some podcast related stuff

Unread post by DoCC »

there is one more bug i figured out.
if you clean the entire podcast db and the files in your directory and then add a big podfeed
you will face a huge traffic and rapidly decreasing storage if you have left the podcastsettings on default " on new episodes download ALL "

yeah i want to download all, cause the dir is empty, but the podcast reciever loads 50 - 75 % of the files 2 - 4 times ending up in a huge amount of files like
/path/to/dir/podcastname/file.mp3
/path/to/dir/podcastname/file0.mp3
/path/to/dir/podcastname/file1.mp3
/path/to/dir/podcastname/file2.mp3

you have to set the setting to " single download new episodes "
the anyoing point, you have to select a bunch of episodes manually - 15 is a good value - and hit "download selected " at the bottom of the page

you can test this behavior with http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Controlo ....
Madsonic
DoCC
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by DoCC »

-- hattrick --

It is possible to download the podcasts. All new are leeched automatically, the old ones are kept. thats fine

But Madsonic won't play any sound if i hit play Navigatin via Podcasts ( Nav.bar ) -> Channelname -> Episode play ( see attachment )
The episode gets loaded correctly in the jwpplayer and is listet in the playlist. But there will be no playing.

Another strange thing :
Since 5.1 madsonic won't list the content of its own created podcast directory.
As seen in an other post ( http://forum.madsonic.org/viewtopic.php?p=4110#p4110 ) i have set up multiple searchpaths for madsonic to get its db filled. A - Z
Normally the contents of /mnt/audio/podcast are sorted automatically i.e. /mnt/audio/podcast/Con!trol!lo gets listed unter C > Con!tro!lo
atm this is a bit annoying ...
Attachments
podcast.PNG
DoCC
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by DoCC »

DoCC wrote:-- hattrick --

It is possible to download the podcasts. All new are leeched automatically, the old ones are kept. thats fine

But Madsonic won't play any sound if i hit play Navigatin via Podcasts ( Nav.bar ) -> Channelname -> Episode play ( see attachment )
The episode gets loaded correctly in the jwpplayer and is listet in the playlist. But there will be no playing.
This part is solved. i guess Centos is not really acting gently with symlinks.
/media points to /mnt/audio
podcasts are leeched to /media/podcasts . rights are set properly and the storage acts quite fine.
after changing the setting to /mnt/audio/podcasts within the podcastreciever now the tracks are playing fine. : )
this did not happen on a debianbased system -.-
Madsonic