Way to push artists one level down? Artwork

Need help? Post your questions here.
dayoff
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Way to push artists one level down? Artwork

Unread post by dayoff »

Hi Everyone..just getting Madsonic working and so far it's working great with one exception...sort of minor, but perhaps it's an easy fix.

I have all my music sorted by folder.
\\server\music\a\abba
\\server\music\a\aerosmith

...which may have some stray singles, or if I have full albums underneath, it looks like:

\\server\music\a\aerosmith\pump
\\server\music\a\aerosmith\rocks

I point Subsonic to my music collection in one spot: \\server\music

So, when I have a network scan, Madsonic creates A, B, C folders, etc...which makes this easy to navigate...and works great navigating quickly on my mobile app (I'm not scrolling down 200 artists to get to ones that start with the letter T, for example... I have one letter for each alphabet to jump around quickly)

However, I notice it's hosing up some things, like where mediasonic sync up with LastFM for artist graphic and wants to save artist.jpg into the artist folder....what seems to happen is that it wants to save artist.jpg over and over again to \\server\music\a, as it thinks my artist is "a", not abba...etc

Is there any way to work around this? Or am I needing to do something a bit differently overall to not only fix LastFM, but perhaps some other functionality I may break by putting my artists one level deeper? I'm purposely sorting by folder structure, as I trust my file structure more than the ever-changing MP3 tags variations (If I get a new tune, I throw it into the appropriate folder and play - I don't want to have to hope it's tagged right, or doing some lastname first thing, etc..

Thanks in advance!
Pete
DoCC
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Way to push artists one level down? Artwork

Unread post by DoCC »

try to give every letter A - Z an own path in madsonic,

just like given in the attachment.

i have set this since subsonic and never had problems with lastfm stuff ... - ok some of my groups ain't managed correctly in lastfm, but this ia an other problem ..
Attachments
madonicfolders.PNG
These users thanked the author DoCC for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
dayoff

Unread post by dayoff »

Maybe I should have added to this issue a bit...I don't think I did a great job of phrasing it...

Basically, when I used to run Subsonic, I stuck with v4.6 and it was sorting fine by folder structure...I guess it was the last version that did it correctly before they adjusted how things worked. With that version of Subsonic, I only had one media folder entry in Subsonic (not one for each letter).

Thus, if I had a folder on my share \\server\music\a\abba, \\server\music\a\aerosmith

Now, what I'm seeing, is that Madsonic sort of does the same thing...but it's not quite sorting it *exactly* by folder. Meaning... if I look into that folder:

\\server\music\a

On my server, I have all folders for each artist, that start with the letter A... however if I go into Madsonic, I have some folders missing, I have a a folder in there called '70s Rock (1 of 3)...plus 23 other folders that don't start with the letter A. I'm not real clear on how those are ending up there, if madsonic is looking strictly at folder structure.

So perhaps this is a better route to figure out than the last.fm artist direction, as the solution of adding individual folders works ok up to a point...when I have a folder called 'newTracks' or 'soundtracks' or 'various artists', then it sort of blows up that concept, and then wants to mix those folders into everything else, instead of keeping it organized by folder...

\\server\music\a
\\server\music\b
\\server\music\newtracks
\\server\music\soundtracks

So for now, I just dialed it back to the one media source entry, so the top level is fine, I just have to sort out where it's getting all these non alphabetized subfolder, and why it's leaving out ones that exist... I'm guessing I have a checkbox off someplace... I ran a full cleanup/rescan since making these changes.

Thanks!
Pete
DoCC
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by DoCC »

aah i see,
i just added an folder like '70 Rock under the A section, reloaded my navlist and it is shown under # ...

ok this behavior is mh strange, but to be honest,,, why ? i mean , we are in the A folder and there should be content starting with an A : )
madsub

Unread post by madsub »

Have you told Madsonic to sort by folders?
Settings - General - Sort albums by foldername
DoCC
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by DoCC »

you mean this settings ? nope

hmm ok so his entire music is located at /path/music ... index 1 says index is located at "root" folder ... BUT
even if an folder located UNDER /path/music/A it should be listed in the A list.
i.e. /path/music/A/'70s Rock should be located under A because the A is index 1

and this is simply not gonna happen.
Attachments
madsonic_folders.PNG
madsonic_folders.PNG (55.02 KiB) Viewed 6088 times
dayoff

Unread post by dayoff »

Yeah, just to clarify...

My music path is:
\\servername\music

The music is located here:
\\servername\music\a\abba
\\servername\music\a\abbaold
\\servername\music\a\aerosmith
\\servername\music\b\beatles
...etc

What I'm finding in Madsonic, vs Subsonic 4.6, is that I'm getting stray stuff showing up in the A folder. So, even though my file share \\servername\music\a ONLY has folders for artists that begin with the letter A, and no music is located in the root of that folder, when I go into Madsonic, I find folders other than 'A...' groups. I see 70s supergroups when I go into 'A', as the first group, above Abba and I don't have a folder called '70s supergroups' elsewhere. I also notice that 'abbaold', for another example, isn't showing up under A's...ABBA is, but ABBAold isn't there..and there's other subfolders under A that are mysteriously missing. So it's strange...it's not exactly going by my folder structure to sort things, and somehow is weaving in some other data points or sorting.

Pete
Right now my settings look like this:
Attachments
settings1.jpg
settings1.jpg (21.07 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
dayoff

Unread post by dayoff »

One other item, in case it's a clue of anything. In my stats, I have 3500 'all artists', but 2300 'album artists'. How would it be differentiating between 'all artists' and 'album artists', if I only have it sorting by foldername? Perhaps it's still looking at the tag information for the high level search and sorting something based on that?

Pete
DoCC
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by DoCC »

dayoff wrote:One other item, in case it's a clue of anything. In my stats, I have 3500 'all artists', but 2300 'album artists'. How would it be differentiating between 'all artists' and 'album artists', if I only have it sorting by foldername? Perhaps it's still looking at the tag information for the high level search and sorting something based on that?

Pete
i do not think that this has something to do with your problem. My stats tells ( 7.657 Interpreten 1.926 Album Interpreten ) and i do not have stray listed folders.
dayoff

Unread post by dayoff »

Just a quick update - For now I put Subsonic 4.6 back in (reluctantly!) and literally installed it, put the path to the single \mp3 share and hit index, and all is well again. If anyone runs across this thread later and knows how to get Madsonic to index like a stock install of Subsonic 4.6, let me know... I'm not sure how long my 'stay on v4.6' concept is going to work :)

Pete