Incorrect album count stats

Need help? Post your questions here.
Skinjob

Incorrect album count stats

Unread post by Skinjob »

I upgraded from 4.7 to the latest 4.8.3312.beta3 over the weekend and the album count statistic is now way off. Previously it was a little over 4000 albums (forget the exact number), which roughly matches what Winamp reports for the same folders. Now 4.8 is reporting 3600 albums. I've done several full rescans (disable, scan, cleanup, enable, scan) and it keeps coming up with the 3600 album count. The total file/track count (47,000+ ) is very close in both Madsonic and Winamp, so I don't think the scan is missing any files.

I ran a "SELECT * FROM media_file where TYPE='ALBUM'" query and got 4000+ rows, so that seemed OK. However, "SELECT * FROM album" only returns 3600 rows. So there seems to be some inconsistency between the two.

Additional info:
- 3 media folders
- all follow Root\AlbumArtist\Album structure
- all files are FLAC with Vorbis comment tags
- album tag is populated in all files

Obviously, the count being incorrect isn't a big deal (though it would be nice). However, I'm worried that album table might be missing records which could affect searching and/or browsing, right?

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.
Skinjob

Incorrect album count stats - follow up

Unread post by Skinjob »

I just posted an issue about "Incorrect album count stats". I think I figured out what's going on, but the original post isn't visible yet so I had to create another post.

The difference in album counts between 4.7 and 4.8 seems to be related to multi-disk sets. It seems like there is some logic in 4.8 to try and figure out if multiple folders belong to the same album, and if so only count it once.

For example:
Meat Beat Manifesto\Subliminal Sandwich (CD 1)
Meat Beat Manifesto\Subliminal Sandwich (CD 2)

While the media_file table contains both of these, the album table only contains Meat Beat Manifesto\Subliminal Sandwich (CD 1) with name="Subliminal Sandwich". I guess it was able to figure out that (CD 1) & (CD 2) were disk identifiers for the same album.

However, the logic only seems to handle simple cases like above. It doesn't combine more complex cases, like:
Yellow Magic Orchestra\Techno Bible (CD 1 - The Early)
Yellow Magic Orchestra\Techno Bible (CD 2 - The Middle)
Yellow Magic Orchestra\Techno Bible (CD 3 - The Later)
Yellow Magic Orchestra\Techno Bible (CD 4 - The Live)
Yellow Magic Orchestra\Techno Bible (CD 5 - Remixes and Rare Tracks)

All five of these appear individually in the album table. I guess the extra suffix after the disk identifier confused it.

And sometimes even simple cases aren't combined:
Download\Furnace Re-Dux (CD 1)
Download\Furnace Re-Dux (CD 2)

Seems like it should have handled that one, but both appear in the album table.

While it sounds good in theory to try to combine multi-disk albums, since it can't be done reliably I think it should be an optional feature that is off by default. Personally, I'd rather just get the raw count so it can be compared to other sources (like Winamp or Foobar).