Signed SSL Certificate in WIndows 2008 R2

Need help? Post your questions here.
bcrivers

Signed SSL Certificate in WIndows 2008 R2

Unread post by bcrivers »

I have a signed certificate for my site. I am moving over from Ubuntu to Windows 2008 R2. Anyone know how to setup Madsonic/Subsonic SSL with a signed certificate on WIndows 2008?
bcrivers

Re: Signed SSL Certificate in WIndows 2008 R2

Unread post by bcrivers »

After spending the weekend trying to make it work, I think I got it. This was with the help of various other posts. I used my old Ubuntu server to generate the needed file for my Windows 2008 R2 server.

1. Purchase a certificate from a third-party CA. (I had one already running on my Ubuntu server)

2. Once you receive your certificate you will need to combine the private key, and server cert, into one file. Open both files in a text editor and copy/paste into a new text file without any blanks. I combined mine in the order.
a. Private Key (myserver.key)
b. Server Certificate (.crt file)

3. Save this text file as subsonic.crt and copy it to a folder on your ubuntu server.

(steps 4 and 5, were taken from the subsonic forum)
4. Next, convert the cert from PEM to PKCS12 format using the following command. Run steps 4 and 5 from the same folder you copied the subsonic.crt file to.
a. openssl pkcs12 -in subsonic.crt -export -out subsonic.pkcs12

5. Now that the cert has been converted into the proper format you can create the new Java keystore:
a. keytool -importkeystore -srckeystore subsonic.pkcs12 -destkeystore subsonic.keystore -srcstoretype PKCS12 -srcalias 1 -destalias tomcat

6. Now take the newly created subsonic.keystore file and copy it over to your Windows machine.

7. Using this tool, http://portecle.sourceforge.net/, Open the subsonic.keystore, use the menu options to change the keystore password to subsonic and change the Alias name to subsonic. Save the file and exit.

8. On your Windows 2008 R2 server. Stop the Madsonic service.

9. Go to the C:\subsonic folder and drag subsonic-booter-jar-with-dependencies.jar to your desktop. Keep a copy of the file for backup purposes.

10. Open subsonic-booter-jar-with-dependencies.jar with Winzip or any other zip program. I used Winzip 15. Delete the subsonic.keystore file and replace it with your newly created file above.

11. Save the subsonic-booter-jar-with-dependencies.jar file and copy it back to your c:\subsonic folder in your Windows 2008 R2 server.

12. Start the madsonic service. If you for any reason, it does not work, stop the service and copy back the original subsonic-booter-jar-with-dependencies.jar file.

I wrote the steps above from memory after I had gotten mine to work. When I recreate my server, I will re-create the steps to document it better. Hope this helps someone.