Using Subsonic Android Client

Need help? Post your questions here.
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Using Subsonic Android Client

Unread post by gurutech »

I just upgraded from an iphone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S3, and I love it!

Downloaded the Subsonic (free) app for it, until I can spend more time with it over the next week or so and figure out how to install APK files directly to the phone.

Anyway, I found an issue, and I'm not sure if it's with Madsonic "server" or with the Subsonic "client", but when I am playing music, I check my server to see "what's playing", and it's showing that I am playing a song that I haven't listened to yet. Checked caching on the phone, and it's downloading/caching the song that the server says is playing...

Any idea how to fix this?
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Re: Using Subsonic Android Client

Unread post by Madsonic »

Hi,

better together ...

Did you try Madsonic Server and Madsonic Client together?

best regards
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Doing it now actually; I'm listening to Depeche Mode, says I'm listening to Sevendust (which as I checked, is currently being queued up/cached.)

Edit: Changed settings to try to disable (for all intents and purposes) the caching, but was only able to set it to pre-load 1 song and 100mb cache, but it's still "playing" a 5 minute song in about 20 seconds... :o
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator

Sometimes i have also troubles with the Players ...

if you have no really special player defined, clear all and restart Madsonic server.
maybe this helps.

best reagrds
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

The Subsonic apps on Android have always worked this way. The server is monitoring and reporting what it's currently transmitting to the phone. How would it know if you paused playback or advanced to another already cached track unless that information was programmed into the app to send that back to the server. I'd guess it was just easier to report what was happening on the server at the server, rather than to try and program a whole monitoring system that required the app to report it's status back to the server.

There are two things going on at the same time, your listening to one track and the phone is downloading more tracks. It's only logical that the system is only going to report one or the other, not both. My guess is that just picking up and displaying what is generated in the server logs was the easiest way to do this.
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

GJ51 wrote:The Subsonic apps on Android have always worked this way. The server is monitoring and reporting what it's currently transmitting to the phone. How would it know if you paused playback or advanced to another already cached track unless that information was programmed into the app to send that back to the server. I'd guess it was just easier to report what was happening on the server at the server, rather than to try and program a whole monitoring system that required the app to report it's status back to the server.

There are two things going on at the same time, your listening to one track and the phone is downloading more tracks. It's only logical that the system is only going to report one or the other, not both. My guess is that just picking up and displaying what is generated in the server logs was the easiest way to do this.
That's what I was thinking as well...

Are there different variables being used for "now playing" versus "now caching"? Maybe there's a way to change the signature script to pull up what's actually playing, versus what's being cached. Just a thought...
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

I think the core problem lies at the server and that it isn't able to distinguish what's asking it for data. It's getting a request to serve up data and deliver it to a player, but it probably makes no effort to figure out how that data being delivered is actually being used at the other end. In order to change the way this is reported on the desktop interface the server would have to differentiate player types and would need a subroutine that reported updates from a new routine in the mobile apps that gave status reports.

There would need to be two different methods - one for mobile and one for desktops - and it would require new methods at both ends.

Worth it? Not to me...

This seems like a bit of a minor issue that would take a lot of effort to fix. I guarantee if it was changed, there would be legions who would get on the forum and complain that they wanted to know what was being sent rather than what was being played as the current configuration is a better representation of the load on the server side.

Just look back at the flac (not the codec - the WWII kind) when Subsonic went from 4.6 to 4.7 and changed the way it scanned the files. The buzz in the forums was for the change until it happened and then the users who were adversely affected came out of the woodwork once 4.7 came out and screwed up their libraries.

You can please some of the people some of the time ...
These users thanked the author GJ51 for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator

gurutech wrote:
GJ51 wrote:The Subsonic apps on Android have always worked this way. The server is monitoring and reporting what it's currently transmitting to the phone. How would it know if you paused playback or advanced to another already cached track unless that information was programmed into the app to send that back to the server. I'd guess it was just easier to report what was happening on the server at the server, rather than to try and program a whole monitoring system that required the app to report it's status back to the server.

That's what I was thinking as well...

Are there different variables being used for "now playing" versus "now caching"? Maybe there's a way to change the signature script to pull up what's actually playing, versus what's being cached. Just a thought...
Hi,

How subsonic/madsonic handle player and reporting to PlayingNow you will found here

PlayQueueInputStream.java

Line 120-122: http://pastebin.com/AVGg3GDB

and StreamController.java

http://pastebin.com/SBArFuML

at the moment there is no support for diffident kinds of Player tracking,
but there's so much room for improvement :)

best regards