Jukebox output from rear or surround 3.5mm?

Need help? Post your questions here.
TheHammer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Jukebox output from rear or surround 3.5mm?

Unread post by TheHammer »

I'd like to make a little note here stating how much of a pain in the butt it was to merely post this. At first it was telling me that my post was filled with spam links, even after there weren't even any links included. Then it took hours for me to get this approved to be posted with different content, and then I had to edit it to this. Kinda ludicrous.

So, I haven't seen a topic like this in here, and I realize that I have a rather specific desire for Madsonic to fulfill. The video, and audio streaming works perfectly with the exception of transcoding to webm format for HTML5 taking a whole lot of extra CPU time, and there's nothing that can be done about that. I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who's made this set of software happen.

That being said, HELP PLOX! I am running Ubuntu Server 12.04 Precise, and Madsonic is working pretty well on it. Here's the thing. This server is multipurpose. It's not only my home router, it is also an HTPC running XBMC, and a server running services such as Madsonic. So the Front Right and Front Left green 3.5mm output jack goes to a Monitor with integrated speakers which works perfectly. One of the things I want it to do though, is output audio using jukebox player to the surround speakers Rear Right and Rear Left (so the server itself is playing music to a stereo, and is controlled via my Android phone).

The server is running this hardware
  • Pentium 4 3.2Ghz
  • 1.5GB RAM
  • D865PERL Motherboard with integrated sound card only
This is my ALSA information
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=aae89 ... 35a94c38de

Now initially I had to add a Java script (audioDevList.java) to figure out which outputs I should use,

Code: Select all

import java.io.*;
import javax.sound.sampled.*;

public class audioDevList{
public static void main(String args[]){

//Get and display a list of
// available mixers.

Mixer.Info[] mixerInfo =
AudioSystem.getMixerInfo();
System.out.println("Available mixers:");
for(int cnt = 0; cnt < mixerInfo.length;
cnt++){
System.out.println(mixerInfo[cnt].
getName());
}//end for loop
}
}
, and add a line of code to /usr/bin/subsonic

'-Djavax.sound.sampled.SourceDataLine=#ICH5 [plughw:0,0]' \
which used one of the output mixers from the script I added and ran.

# java audioDevList
Available mixers:
PulseAudio Mixer
ICH5 [default]
ICH5 [plughw:0,0]
ICH5 [plughw:0,1]
ICH5 [plughw:0,2]
ICH5 [plughw:0,3]
ICH5 [plughw:0,4]
Port ICH5 [hw:0]
The only other selection that Madsonic seems to want to use without crashing besides

is

, and there's no audio output from that selection. When attempting to play music to

it definitely plays music somewhere, but I'm not sure to where since none of the 3.5mm jacks have audio output while Madsonic is supposedly playing music.. is there some way to specify rear speakers in

that I'm just unaware of? Either that, or how can I get everything from Ubuntu (XBMC specifically) to default to going to the surround or rear speaker output so that Madsonic can use the front speaker output?