network share

Need help? Post your questions here.
Beowolf
Has thanked: 0

network share

Unread post by Beowolf »

Hey Guys I am not sure if i ever asked but I was wondering what the chances of having a share from another computer on my network.
ie main MS is on //Madsonic but I want to access a //Pirate/downloads
what is the code or line i input so i can see or find.
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Re: network share

Unread post by GJ51 »

Should be no problem as long as you define the folder as a UNC share that the Madsonic service account has permissions to access. I do this on my network that runs Madsonic in a VM but accesses a music library that sits on a RAID storage array. If you have a problem, it's usually associated with permissions not being set up correctly. Both the host Madsonic machine and the storage machine must have valid account entries that are identical to the log on account that you use for the Madsonic service.

http://monroeworld.com/android/subsonic/

This link has a well illustrated tutorial that explains the process.

HTH
Beowolf
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Beowolf »

Folder not found
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

That's because the service does not have access rights to the share.

You need to set up identical accounts on both machines with the same password, and then define that account for the service to use.
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by gurutech »

I've read that if you have Madsonic on a Windows machine, you will need to map a drive to the UNC path, then enter the mapped drive path into Madsonic.
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

That was never true in Subsonic. Mapped drives never worked on Windows. I never tested it in Madsonic, so I'm not sure if that has changed, but I do know for sure that using UNC shares as I've described does work.

A typical Windows user may have some difficulty untangling all the permissions issues involved to get this to work successfully, but if you do it right it will work. This is how I've been running my sites for several years now since building a central storage server on a raid array. Once you've been through it a time or two, it seems easy, but the first time you try to sort it all out can be confusing. As i mentioned, the one thing that most first timers seem to miss is that you need to use the same user/password combination on both host machines, and then assign that same U/P to the service logon.

Probably seems like simple stuff to anyone who's successfully set up Sharepoint. Now there's a true MS nightmare.
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by gurutech »

Sharepoint sites are pretty easy for me (now that I've had the "honor" of setting up about 20 of them in the past year or so).

The trick is that you have to not only create users on the sharepoint site, but you have to go back in and grant those new users permissions. It's a PITA, but I've gotten used to it so it doesn't phase me any more.
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

gurutech wrote:Sharepoint sites are pretty easy for me (now that I've had the "honor" of setting up about 20 of them in the past year or so).

The trick is that you have to not only create users on the sharepoint site, but you have to go back in and grant those new users permissions. It's a PITA, but I've gotten used to it so it doesn't phase me any more.

Yeah, but that's the easy part...

It's cleaning up all the event errors after installation that's a pain,
shivan

Unread post by shivan »

I am running windows and have no issue accessing shared drives on a NAS. Here is one of my media folders in madsonic: \\DISKSTATION\Media Files\Music I had to set up an account on madsonic and the same account on the NAS.