Is Madsonic still actively developed? And other questions...

Need help? Post your questions here.
willieb1172

Is Madsonic still actively developed? And other questions...

Unread post by willieb1172 »

I noticed madsonic hasn't had a new release since July 25th, which was about the last time Madevil posted. I did see in thread of the latest release he said he's going on vacation and hopes to be out of beta by the end of August.

Can someone confirm this is still an active project and Madevil will be back soon?

Also, while we are waiting, how stable do you feel the latest beta of Madsonic is? I use Subsonic for friends and family to access my music. Do you think it's stable enough to use for this purpose? Subsonic is missing a very important feature to me that I was told Madsonic will have, which is user permissions based on login. Can someone confirm this is offered by Madsonic before I install?

I attempted to replace Subsonic with Plex. Plex works great for movies/video, but for music it's not near up to par with Subsonic. Plex has the user permissions I need but lacks to many other features to make it worth it.

So... before I reinstall Subsonic, I wanted to ask these questions to see if the Madsonic user community thought I'd be better off with Madsonic. Thanks.
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Is Madsonic still actively developed? And other question

Unread post by gurutech »

Madsonic has "group-based" permissions, meaning you assign folders to groups (ie. LIMITED group only has access to Music folder, but FULL group has access to Music and Videos.)

Technically you could have one group per user, but that (IMHO) would be overkill.
These users thanked the author gurutech for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

willieb1172 wrote:I noticed madsonic hasn't had a new release since July 25th, which was about the last time Madevil posted. I did see in thread of the latest release he said he's going on vacation and hopes to be out of beta by the end of August.

Can someone confirm this is still an active project and Madevil will be back soon?

Also, while we are waiting, how stable do you feel the latest beta of Madsonic is? I use Subsonic for friends and family to access my music. Do you think it's stable enough to use for this purpose? Subsonic is missing a very important feature to me that I was told Madsonic will have, which is user permissions based on login. Can someone confirm this is offered by Madsonic before I install?

I attempted to replace Subsonic with Plex. Plex works great for movies/video, but for music it's not near up to par with Subsonic. Plex has the user permissions I need but lacks to many other features to make it worth it.

So... before I reinstall Subsonic, I wanted to ask these questions to see if the Madsonic user community thought I'd be better off with Madsonic. Thanks.
It's far more actively developed than Subsonic or Music Cabinet or any other branch. As far as switching over from Subsonic, first make a backup of your Subsonic data directory before you proceed so that you can reverse the upgrade if you don't like it. Overall Madsonic is by far the best version of Subsonic but there are still some quirks that may be your particular favorite thing in Subsonic that might be cause for regret if you switch. I use Madsonic almost exclusively except for when I'm on the road and connect with my phone. The one thing I need that I haven't been able to get Madsonic to do is convert mp3 to ogg which I find to be more efficient when using 3g. For that I keep a seperate instance of Subsonic on a VM to handle my mobile needs when I'm not getting good bandwidth over 3g.

Marty does seem to take well-deserved breaks from cranking out betas from time to time, but I don't it's anything to worry about. He's done an amazing amount of work on this in the past year and he deserves to walk away from it for a while. Programming can get inside your head intense, and stepping away from it for a while can be very helpful as many times solutions to problems you've been working on emerge only after you take a break. I have to laugh every time my son comes downstairs in the morning to announce that he solved a problem he was working on while he was sleeping! But then again, I'm talking about a high school kid that works on some of NASA's biggest databases, so maybe he's not the best example. LOL
These users thanked the author GJ51 for the post:
Madsonic
willieb1172

I use the web interface some, but mostly about 10 installs of iSub between my family and friends. All my music is 256bit m4a. I will give Madsonic a test and let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for the replies.
willieb1172

Ok, I installed Madsonic and tested with iSub and played around with the web interface. I am an extreme fan!

Everything worked perfectly and I tested the user specific folder access and it worked great. No more multiple subsonic installs on the same box for me!

Thanks gurutech and GJ51 for the replies, I really hope development continues as I feel this is already superior to Subsonic and is excellent software for my family's needs!

And thanks to Madevil for the hard dev work he has put into it thus far, and thanks for the work to come. I hope to see him back in soon. Maybe he can get some development help from fellow members and keep this awesome ball rolling!
These users thanked the author willieb1172 for the post:
Madsonic
Beowolf
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Beowolf »

Personally if ms died i would not return to ss as the differences in function and help are far above.
I have had minor issues and not as savy as i was a couple years ago but these guys are amazing
the updates and the fixes come faster than you can see, but as for updates you need to make yourself known i guess
or be nice drop a tip for Mad's coffee fund.. i would have mailed a starbucks lol
anyhow the guys here listen and make better all the time!
These users thanked the author Beowolf for the post:
Madsonic
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Unread post by Madsonic »

willieb1172 wrote:I noticed madsonic hasn't had a new release since July 25th, which was about the last time Madevil posted. I did see in thread of the latest release he said he's going on vacation and hopes to be out of beta by the end of August.

Hello,

well i'm back from an well taken vacation :D

Yes Madsonic is still active and Beta5 is comming today, I am constantly trying to improve madsonic,
before Final will be released some small bugs from the last betas must be stabilized.

the last weeks i got much feedback to read 8-)

Best regards

8-)
willieb1172

Welcome back! That's really great news. I hope you enjoyed every second.

Thank you (and whoever else may be involved) for taking Subsonic to the next level. I love the user based folder access. Awesome! ;-)

-Will
These users thanked the author willieb1172 for the post:
Madsonic