Best HD Transcoding Settings?

Need help? Post your questions here.
d3adm8n
Been thanked: 0

Best HD Transcoding Settings?

Unread post by d3adm8n »

Hi,

I have a pretty fast and powerful server running Subsonic 4.8 with Madsonic 5.0.3600.beta5. I'm using the flash player to stream HD movies but nearly everything I play is slightly laggy or jittery, movies would pause very briefly and pick up where they left off. I also have a good enough home connection in order to watch such high quality video.

My current transcoding settings are: ffmpeg -ss %o -i %s -async 1 -b %bk -s %wx%h -ar 44100 -ac 2 -v 0 -f flv -vcodec libx264 -preset superfast -threads 6 -

I heard somewhere, possibly here, that changing the threads count made a difference. So it has been the default 0, 4 and now 6. I also seem to get the best out of the videos with the 15000 bitrate.

What could be wrong? Should I be using different settings?

Thanks.
chali
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Best HD Transcoding Settings?

Unread post by chali »

Hi

1: to begin with, what's is your connection? 15000kbps is very much
especially if you are trying to do it with a wireless connection.

2: what cpu do you have? you have 6 threads in your cpu? I use 8 threads on a 16 core server.

3: how much memory you have allocated?
I have assigned 15gig of 32gig and set it to start at 512/1024 (will not remember which one.)

4: what are the files in the format? they are 15000kbps or are they for example mp4 and should be around 1500 to 3000 kbps for 720p and 3000-5000 kbps for 1080p?
In that case, do not set it for 15000kbps
then it is better you turn of transcoding and send the file as it is.

5: When I spoke with sindre he said that it is hard-coded max 3000 kbps for movies and transcoding on.
I do not know if Marty managed to change it, but what i understand according to sindre it'll be hard to do.

6. I have a rule that it is to not go over 2000kbps on my server for 720P/480P if they want to transcod files, otherwise they uncheck trancodning and send the original file.

best performance / quality for my movies and server is around 1500kbps with many simultaneously streaming.

7: what do you play your movies on? windows computer or android computer etc.

hope this gives you some ideas
ps excuse the bad grammar

Sincerely/ Chali
These users thanked the author chali for the post (total 3):
Madsonicgenimacd3adm8n
Rating: 23.08%
d3adm8n

Unread post by d3adm8n »

Hi chali,

My home connection is with BT Infinity, here's a speed test: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3014634462.png. It tends to be less laggy with 15000kbps, even at 10000kbps It's very noticeable. I am also on a wired connection, single cable.

The server has 24 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz and as I stated before, I have tested with the default 0 threads and I have tested with 4 and 6 threads.

I have no idea how much memory is allocated, where would I be able to check and configure this?

I am attempting to play both mp4 and mkv 720p. Bringing it down to 1500kbps removes a lot of quality from the video, 3000kbps looks a lot better and on par with 15000kbps. I'm unclear wether I should keep transcoding on or turn it off. And would "Enable this transcoding for all existing and new players" be the option to do that?

I play movies on MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8.5 and through the latest Google Chrome.

Thank you for response and help.
chali
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by chali »

Hi

no problem, just great if I could help =)

yes it is there you turn off transcoding for each player,
hmm when it comes to video quality and kbps,
what program do you use when you converts movies?
and what settings do you have in it? (eg, hand-brake, dvdfab)
I think it sounds very much, 150000kbps for h264

if you want you can get a login in order to compare from my server,
(if you want to compare kbps, etc., I use ssl but it should be similar)

To change the memory in linux (ubuntu) /usr/bin/madsonic (but be very careful!)

I got a little bored and played around with different settings,
i encourages you to try this one, I do not really know what the difference is but good is it =)

ffmpeg -ss %o -i %s -async 2 -b %bk -s %wx%h -ar 44100 -ac 1 -v 0 -f flv -vcodec libx264 -preset superfast -strict experimental -threads 8 -

it works really good for me (the smoothest I've seen)

Sincerely, / Chali
These users thanked the author chali for the post (total 3):
Madsonicgenimacd3adm8n
Rating: 23.08%
d3adm8n

Unread post by d3adm8n »

Hi again,

I'm not personally converting these movies.

Is there a guide or detailed instructions on how to change the allocated memory? And is there a FAQ, guide or breakdown of all the different transcoding settings, such as -ss &o %wx%h -strict experimental? I'd love to know what each of these things actually do.

The differences between the default transcoding settings and the settings that you suggested are -async 2, -ac 1, -strict experimental and -threads 8. One or all of these changes seem to help, possibly with addition of bringing it down to 3000kbps instead of 15000kbps too. I haven't noticed any lag yet.

Is there any way to set 3000kbps as default?

chali
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by chali »

d3adm8n wrote:Hi again,

I'm not personally converting these movies.

Is there a guide or detailed instructions on how to change the allocated memory? And is there a FAQ, guide or breakdown of all the different transcoding settings, such as -ss &o %wx%h -strict experimental? I'd love to know what each of these things actually do.

The differences between the default transcoding settings and the settings that you suggested are -async 2, -ac 1, -strict experimental and -threads 8. One or all of these changes seem to help, possibly with addition of bringing it down to 3000kbps instead of 15000kbps too. I haven't noticed any lag yet.

Is there any way to set 3000kbps as default?

Hi

you are not alone in wanting to know what each part of the transcoding string does, unfortunately I have not found an accompaniment description what it does.

is it in ubuntu you are running the server?

easiest way for you is as follows.
open a terminal and type (sudo nautilus) and enter your pass word.
in the new window, click on the file system then the folder (usr)
and then (bin). now press m on the keyboard to highlight madsonic, right click the file and select open in the window that pops up, select the show.

look at the picture below you'll see what I changed.

To put 3000kbps as the standard,

" Upps I now saw that there is no 3000kbps by default, Sorry.
if you ask marty maybe he can add it."

Sincerely Chali

in madsonic, click on settings, then groups, in line ALL.
Set 3000kbps then everyone will get it by default.

/ Chali
Attachments
port och minne.JPG