Install MadSonic on Windows Server 2012 R2

Need help? Post your questions here.
millenniumman
Has thanked: 0

Install MadSonic on Windows Server 2012 R2

Unread post by millenniumman »

Hi,

In the past, I've successfully installed Subsonic on a Windows 2012 Server using the instructions below (WAR/TomCat 6/Java 6.26).

http://forum.subsonic.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7556

I just setup a new Windows Server 2012 R2 rig, and would like to install MadSonic instead of Subsonic this time.

My question is, can I use this same method, except with TomCat 7 and Java 7 this time? Are there any instructions to be found on this matter? Or should I just use the Windows installer, but I've heard the WAR method is better performing.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

MillenniumMan
These users thanked the author millenniumman for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Install MadSonic on Windows Server 2012 R2

Unread post by GJ51 »

Not a big issue.

Install latest Java, Tomcat 7, then drop in the Madsonic war file same as you would with Subsonic.

Repost if you run into a specific problem, but this is a pretty simple install.

For a lot of reasons, including performance, I use the Tomcat/war on all my servers, but the Windows version will run fine as well. I think the war is easier to update and is a tad faster. The only downside is the SSL setup which is way easier on the Windows version.
These users thanked the author GJ51 for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
millenniumman

Hi GJ51,

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and installed Java, Tomcat 7 (changed default port from 80 to 9080), and then the Madsonic war file (replacing the ROOT directory). All is running fine.

My question is, I tried integrating Tomcat into IIS 8.5 using isapi_redirect.dll, but was unsuccessful. So I just removed the settings I made in IIS and all performed normally. Should I even bother integrating TomCat into IIS 8.5?
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

I haven't ever tried that.

It always seemed to me that the effort wasn't worth the benefit. I've seen posts on the Subsonic forum about the topic, but it all seemed like just too much effort to be bothered with.

If you do decide to give it a go and can post clear instruction, I'm sure someone else would also be interested.

Good Luck if you decide to give it a try.
millenniumman

Thanks GJ51...will update the thread if I do try the integration.