Help on a new install

Need help? Post your questions here.
MuadDib_II

Help on a new install

Unread post by MuadDib_II »

Hi all,

I'm used to Hakko's Music Cabinet, but after the implementation of the Pandora's feature (that seems to replace Hakko's Artist Radio feature) I would like to try Madsonic. For that I have two options:

I can install Madsonic in my main machine, that is running Windows 8.1 and already has Music Cabinet. If I choose this install, can I make it without uninstall Music Cabinet (at least for a while, to see if Madsonic feeds my needs)?

I can also install Madsonic on a notebook that is running Debian 7.2. For that I found this topic, witch explains how to do it, but it seems that I need Madsonic version 3320 (the last one with a .deb compile) and then change the .war file. My problem there is that in the Archives topic I can only find Madsonic 3350 (with a .tar.gz). As I'm new to Linux, I would like to ask if I can install this version in my notebook, and if yes if the .war update will still work.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Marc
These users thanked the author MuadDib_II for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Help on a new install

Unread post by gurutech »

I'm not familiar with Debian Linux (I use Fedora and Centos, both based on Red Hat), but once you have a working version installed, the WAR update is fairly simple - just stop the madsonic service, copy the .WAR file to /usr/share/madsonic, and restart the madsonic service.
MuadDib_II

Thanks for your answer gurutech.

This night I will try to install it and then see what will happens.
MuadDib_II

I finally found a .deb file (Madsonic Server 5.0 Beta5 Build 3600). I also downloaded the 20131031_madsonic-5.0.3780-standalone.zip to extract the .war file, Is it correct ?

After I installed the .deb file (right click/ install with GDebi), I was trying to follow the above steps, but I was unable to find the /var/subsonic folder or the /usr/share/subsonic/ folder, I have only a /var/madsonic folder and /usr/share/madsonic/ folder.

As I said earlier, I'm actually using Music Cabinet, and it works without a Subsonic installation, is it the same with Madsonic? Or do I need to install the Subsonic server before Madsonic server ?
1. Make sure that you have unzip installed, if you don't have -> apt-get install unzip
2. Stop the subsonic service using: service subsonic stop
3. Make a backup of your /var/subsonic folder.
4. Go to the place where you have downloaded the latest war package and run: unzip -o name_of_the_war_package -d /usr/share/subsonic/
(-o parameter for unzip command stands for overwrite any existing files, and -d stands for extract files into exdir)
5. At the end execute chmod +x /usr/share/subsonicv
6. Start the subsonic service using: service subsonic start
Thanks again,
Marc

PS: sorry for my not so good english ;)