Upgrading question

Need help? Post your questions here.
MediocreFred
Has thanked: 0

Upgrading question

Unread post by MediocreFred »

Hello,

I am currently running 5.0.3490.beta2 on a Windows 7 x64 media server.

I would like to upgrade to the most recent build (5.0.3800). Somewhere in between the build I am on and the current build, I recall seeing build notes about drastic changes (including changing references to "subsonic" to "madsonic", major database changes, etc.) that require a complete reconfiguring of all the settings.

Assuming a final build (of 5.0) is forthcoming pretty soon, will it have the required functionality to upgrade existing installations without having to do a manual reconfiguring?

The reason I am asking this is that if there is no plan at all of programatically "taking care" of the upgrade process, I'll bite the bullet now and follow the instructions to upgrade manually (if this is so, can somebody please post instructions to upgrade from the version I am on to the most recent build). However, if the plan is to include a seamless upgrade mechanism as part of the final build of 5.0, I'll probably just wait for it.

Thanks,
MediocreFred.
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Re: Upgrading question

Unread post by Madsonic »

hi there,

yes its an older build but this should be possible!

01. stop madsonic service
02. backup (zip or copy) your old madsonic installation (in your case c:\subsonic) !!!
03. move your backup to a save place
04. uninstall all Madsonic installation
05. delete all old traces -> (c:\subsonic, c:\madsonic, c:\supersonic or \var\subsonic, \var\madsonic, \var\supersonic)
06. make a new madsonic installation
07. after installation the service will automatically start (new DB will created)
08. stop madsonic service
09. delete DB folder again (in your case c:\madsonic\db or \var\madsonic\db)
10. delete settings file (madsonic.properties)
11. copy your backup (DB folder and subsonic.properties only!) into your madsonic installation folder (c:\madsonic\)
12. rename subsonic.properties to madsonic.properties
13. restart Madsonic service
14. Madsonic detect automatically the db version and will upgrade to newest Madsonic db structure layout
15. possibly it can not hurt to go through all your settings and even press the save button on every settings page
16. make a Full Scan
17. hopefully done

this should hopefully perform a safe upgrade ;)

best regards
These users thanked the author Madsonic for the post (total 2):
DrAlbanMetzlmane
Rating: 15.38%
MediocreFred

Thanks Madevil for the detailed steps. I'll update my server in a week or two and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
MediocreFred
MediocreFred

Upgraded to build 3820 yesterday following these steps. Worked perfectly - except for a couple of issues with Build 3820 that I have posted on the build's page.

Thanks very much MadEvil! I am sure these steps will be of use to others who are upgrading from older builds too.

-MediocreFred.
These users thanked the author MediocreFred for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
jsgates

Unread post by jsgates »

Thanks! This post helped me out immensely. I had to updgrade my linux server from Maverick to LTS Precise on Ubuntu Server, and I installed a fresh build of Madsonic. I got all my users imported back in. Thanks so much! This is great software.

-hogfan