Moods. How to use?

Need help? Post your questions here.
jsgates
Has thanked: 0

Moods. How to use?

Unread post by jsgates »

I read another thread here on this but can't seem to get Moods working in Madsonic. It still gives me the message on the Moods tab that I need to scan my Library. I have used beaTunes3 to analyze the BPM for my entire library and this information does show up in the tags now in iTunes, but when I rescan my library (even full rescan) in Madsonic, it still doesn't seem to see the BPM information. Any suggestions? Am I missing a step somewhere?
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Moods. How to use?

Unread post by gurutech »

You have to create moods first, by going into the "Edit Tags" link from any album (must be repeated for each album...)

Scroll to the right until you get the "Mood" column, then manually type in whatever you want as the mood for each song on that album. Click "save" when done (scroll back to the left....)

Now you may need to rescan your library (once all your moods have been set), and then you should be able to view moods.

(After clicking "Save" for the first album, if you have moods that are the same, you should be able to select them from the dropdown list instead of typing them manually).
jsgates

Unread post by jsgates »

Hmm... Ok, I thought I read that this was the purpose of having the BPM tag info populated. I thought the just had to be ID3V 2.4 tags. If all the moods have to be set manually it is not feasible to do this for large libraries. Sounds like a script of some sort would be needed to automate the process, based on the BPM tag info.
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by gurutech »

That's exactly why I have a total of 3 moods, with maybe 3 different albums (one for each mood). I've converted to 2.4, but nothing's populated as far as moods go, and I haven't found a list of sites to be able to pull down this data in one huge chunk...
jsgates

Unread post by jsgates »

Well, I guess I am 1 step closer. You can use a tool like beaTunes 3 to populate the BPM tag info for all of your music......only catch is that it depends on your iTunes Library, so if you don't use iTunes it isn't much help. I primarily run a Linux Mint laptop, and a desktop with OSX Mavericks so beaTunes worked for me on OSX. I have yet to find a better application for tag management than iTunes although I don't like it for playback. MP3 tag is useful on windows but doesn't allow you to do things like create a smart playlist for all tracks with missing YEAR tag, etc. I use iTunes smart playlists to find tracks that are missing artwork, Year tags, etc.......but then I use MP3Tag on Windows to add artwork, etc.

Since I have analyzed all of my tracks with beaTunes 3, and the BPM tag is populated for my tracks, I guess I would just need a script that would loop through the entire music directory, read the ID3V2.4 tag for each file/track, extract the BPM tag info, and add it to the appropriate mood info to the Madsonic DB table...............

With that said, I'm not completely sure if there is a 'standard' for what BPM range = which Mood. If anybody knows what table would need to be updated in the Madsonic database, etc, I might look into this.

I guess since most of us are working with Jetty, updating the table from the DB management tab in Madsonic might be the way to go.

- Jeremy
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Unread post by Madsonic »

hi there,

Moods FAQ --> http://forum.madsonic.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=561
Media Tools --> http://forum.madsonic.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=331

mood is a column in the media_file table.

best regards
These users thanked the author Madsonic for the post:
Matt Zornig
Rating: 7.69%
jsgates

Unread post by jsgates »

Thanks for the info Madevil. That should help.