What Version of Unix / Linux???

Need help? Post your questions here.
mlutzow

What Version of Unix / Linux???

Unread post by mlutzow »

Hello all,

I just thought I would throw this out here for some input. I've been an MS Windows user for a number of years, professionally I used to work with UNIX, but thats close to 30 years ago now and alot has changed (as far as flavors available).

I've been experimenting with some different Linux distros to try and decide which one I will implement and focus on at home.

I've also been playing around with some 'Live' Distros that I'm booting from USB sticks.

Does any one have any suggestions of what distribution they would recommend and why. I don't really have any specific niches that I'm interested in handling.

A couple of Distributions that I've looked at so far all seem to be branches of Debian. I've looked at Debian, Knoppix (live), and a couple of other smaller 'Live' distros focused on privacy and security.
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What Version of Unix / Linux???

Unread post by gurutech »

I'm using Centos (which is similar to Red Hat and Fedora). Never had any issues with it (except for what I messed up on my own!)

I guess I'm accustomed to it now, but I have tried Ubuntu also, but didn't really care for it, since I'm more familiar with Centos.

But Madsonic runs perfectly on my computer; never had issues that were related to Linux or Madsonic (I link to my media folder which used to be stored on a Windows box, which is what caused my issues). Now that I've moved my media to Linux, no issues at all.
These users thanked the author gurutech for the post:
mlutzow
Rating: 7.69%