Fragmented MP4 Broken, but...

Post your Server Bug Report

Fragmented MP4 Broken, but...

Unread postby Varda Elbereth » 15 Jul 2014, 22:21

The base webm player lags to heck for me at any bitrate on my Core 2 Duo server, so I'm looking for alternatives now that I'm switching over completely from the flash player.

So, currently I'm trying to find a way to stream H.264 to MP4 via the HTML5 player. I believe to do this we need to use fragmented MP4 streaming.

So far, this is the command I've figured out.

Code: Select all
ffmpeg -ss %o -i %s -async 60 -ac 2 -c:a libfdk_aac -b:a 128k -f mp4 -c:v libx264 -b:v %bk -s %wx%h -v 0 -preset ultrafast -threads 1 -strict -2 -movflags frag_keyframe+empty_moov+faststart - < /dev/null

MP4 containers aren't normally seekable and lack the proper indexing support for it to be played without fetching the whole video. That's a major problem - especially if you have a video that's over like... A minute or something. But with frag_keyframe you can create a fragmented version that should theoretically be streamable.

Currently though it just spins and spins in opera and dies immediately in chrome. Hmm.

Anyway, I have found one combination that works quite well for streaming HTML5. For those interested....

Code: Select all
ffmpeg -ss %o -i %s -async 60 -ac 2 -c:a libopus -b:a 128k -f ogg -c:v libtheora -b:v %bk -s %wx%h -v 0 -preset ultrafast -threads 1 -strict -2 -

But yeah, I'd like to get some MP4/H.264 streaming if I can.
Varda Elbereth
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fragmented MP4 Broken, but...

Unread postby GJ51 » 16 Jul 2014, 20:24

You can use QTindexswapper2 to move the index atom on an mp4 to the front of the file instead of the end. Once done you can search the file and use the position seek bar as soon as the file gets opened.
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Bug Reports 5.x