Cant play any movie on Android

Need help? Post your questions or problem here.
chali
Contributor
Contributor

Cant play any movie on Android

Unread post by chali »

Hi

I cant play any movies on my android stuff, music is no problem but movies is dead,
Before last mx player update i only got the spinning circle. Now i get "can't play this file/movie"
I get the same error on subsonic native client, and on ultrasonic.
I can start to play the movie in D-sub but only for 10 sec in hw+ if i use mv the movie funktion but the sound dies after 10 sec.

So my question is, do this problem have to do what rights apps are allowed to do in folders or is it another problem?
Do anyone know of a solution to this? Almost all my users use Android Tv to see the films so it sucks, For now i use Plex side by side to Madsonic
but since Madsonic rocks and Plex dont in terms of looks/privacy and is relay much better for sorting movies (i use my on info in film and plex dont like that) i really would like to throw plex oute and only run madsonic for all media. (one to rule them all as they say ;-)

I get this error on stuff using Android 4.2.2 and 4.4.2 and my madsonic server is 5.1 beta 2

/Regards
These users thanked the author chali for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cant play any movie on Android

Unread post by GJ51 »

It's not you or just your imagination...

One of the most vexing issues with all Subsonic forks and apps has been video playback stability. Once you get it working, it seems that almost anything can break it. Anything includes, OS, Java, Android, or any other update that can happen - sometimes without you being aware of what happened.

It's not an easy issue to fix for any of the developers involved, or I'm pretty sure that they would have fixed it by now. I get mixed results depending on what's going on and often don't identify what broke it or what fixed it in a given instance.

Right now it seems I have it working on 5.1.4800.beta2 and the latest Android apps - but who knows for how long...

HTH

Also remember that the problem can be almost anywhere along the communication chain - server, network, ISP, phone carrier, phone app. Sometimes what can look like a stuck spinning wheel can ultimately just be poor bandwidth.
These users thanked the author GJ51 for the post:
Madsonic
daneren2005
Developer
Developer

Unread post by daneren2005 »

You can also try using VLC. It could be the source format you are using. I have had some success using RAW and playing mp4s with VLC.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

I really need to get back to trying to sort this out for myself as well.

Since Android killed flash on my phone I've not had much success getting video to play consistently on my Sammy Note 2. Especially now that we have consistent Live TV through our Silicon Dust HD Homerun to Madsonic (now integrated thanks to Marty!) it would really be great if I could get video to play through one of the apps.

Now that we're on 5.1 final I guess it's time to start again to see if I can get it working.

If anyone has good consistent video playback working on Android, I'd love to get some feedback on how they did it.

Thanks
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Unread post by Madsonic »

confirm broken flash videoplayer over REST API with madsonic 5.1 final . :cry:

working playback on android

test with
  • HTC One mini
  • Android 4.4 Stock Rom
  • Madsonic 5.6.303
  • MX Player PRO
On Android Client go to > Settings > Player > Video Player
Set this Mode to RAW

works very fast on local lan, video playback starts within 1-2 sec.
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

Thanks ME,

I was playing with this a bit and reloaded Flash 11.1 and tried using MX Player.

I've got recorded videos working again, but playback fails trying to send a Live TV feed. Box comes up and just says "Video Problem - Can't play this video"

But we're making progress...

$ sent
These users thanked the author GJ51 for the post:
Madsonic
chali
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by chali »

Hello, and as usual, a big thanks for all your work.

After flash workt for a while then I made an update to the latest Madsonic server and latest madsonic app
Unfortunately is not flash working again, I've added the log under 5.1 thread.

Although it says that mx should work in latest app uppdate it do not work on these, the Sony Z2, sony z2 10.1, sony z2 compakt,

Currently, the app does not work to play video at all for me.

/ Regards
chali
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by chali »

Hello, and as usual, a big thanks for all your work.

After flash workt for a while then I made an update to the latest Madsonic server and latest madsonic app
Unfortunately is not flash working again, I've added the log under 5.1 thread.

Although it says that mx should work in latest app uppdate it do not work on these, the Sony Z2, sony z2 10.1, sony z2 compakt,

Currently, the app does not work to play video at all for me.

/ Regards
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

I have flash on Android working with Dolphan browser and I can get it working on a Subsonic site for recorded and live TV, but when I try to do the same on my Madsonic 5.1 site I get:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

-<subsonic-response version="1.12.0" type="madsonic" status="failed" xmlns="http://madsonic.org/restapi">

<error message="Cannot invoke saveContext on response org.springframework.security.web.firewall.FirewalledResponse@2d2ea5b9. You must use the HttpRequestResponseHolder.response after invoking loadContext" code="0"/>

</subsonic-response>

I'm still not sure why video can't be transcoded to mp4 and output to desktop and mobile successfully. JW Player is supposed to handle mp4 but I've never seen it work through transcoding - only when just passed raw to the desktop. It's all getting too confusing for me - I used to have everything working just dandy until Android killed Flash, now it seems like getting video working on Android is just too much research and hacking around. I sure wish we could find a solution that didn't need an entire rework every time Android releases a new version. I've now got 3 or 4 video players on my phone - none of which seem to be handle any video output from Madsonic. I know this isn't easy stuff - but it sure begs for a cure.
chali
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by chali »

Hi gj51 the 2 lataste server update kills flash, its in the server the error is. /Regards
chali
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by chali »

Hi gj51 the 2 lataste server update kills flash, its in the server the error is. /Regards
neodawg

Unread post by neodawg »

Is anyone having issues with getting transcoding to the madsonic app to work? I can play videos in MXPlayer, but they will only play if I am on wifi or next to a 4G tower. Running latest madsonic app and MADSONIC 5.2.5420.20141214.0249 for server on Server 2008R2.