Madsonic server on a Raspberry Pi 3

Frequently asked questions. Tutorials, tips and tricks.
mwpmorris
Has thanked: 0

Madsonic server on a Raspberry Pi 3

Unread post by mwpmorris »

Hi,

I've been experimenting with Madsonic over the past few days to see if it will suit my needs.

It runs well on my MacBook Air, but now I've come to the point where I'll actually need to install a server permanently. I'm thinking of a Raspberry Pi 3 because of its low power consumption. All of my music is on a network disk which it will be connected to over Ethernet.

Before I go through the whole rigmarole of building this system, I'm a bit concerned about it being slow. I have a large music library (around 12,000 files) so I'll need something that will be up to the job. Can anyone else out there running a similar setup confirm that the rPi is powerful enough for the web interface to be snappy and to serve up the files quickly? My internet upload speed is pretty good so I shouldn't have a bottleneck there, and I plan to rarely use the transcoding function.

Other than that, I do have a spare 10-year old Mac Mini Core Duo lying around which I could use but I don't really want to leave it on all day.

Thanks!
These users thanked the author mwpmorris for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
carltonh
Has thanked: 0

Re: Madsonic server on a Raspberry Pi 3

Unread post by carltonh »

I just installed Madsonic 7 on a Respberry Pi 3 and it was pretty dead simple. I tried a few years ago with an older version of Madsonic 5.something and an older version of Raspbian without success.

I installed a fresh Raspbian based on Debian Buster, installed openjdk-8-jre, installed Madsonic, had to install the ntfs-3g driver to ready my NTFS hard drive as music source. Configured my router for port forwarding 4040 to the Raspberry Pi 3, logged into Madsonic and set up, now have access to my nearly 3 TB of music. It's not super fast, but I don't feel a need to upgrade to the Pi 4 for Madsonic. Once Owncloud is properly supported on Debian Buster, I'll probably set that up too.
These users thanked the author carltonh for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%