[FAQ] Transcoding

Frequently asked questions. Tutorials, tips and tricks.
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

[FAQ] Transcoding

Unread post by Madsonic »

diffrent ffmpeg transcoding versions:

@ Upload.to http://ul.to/f/sctmqc Madsonic Mashup-Mod Transcoding
transcoding.png
transcoding.png (16.36 KiB) Viewed 17955 times

Code: Select all

mp3 audio
ogg oga aac wav wma aif aiff ape mpc shn
mp3
Audioffmpeg -i %s -ab %bk -v 0 -f mp3 -

flv/h264 video
avi mpg mpeg mp4 m4v mkv mov wmv ogv divx m2ts
flv
ffmpeg -ss %o -i %s -async 1 -b %bk -s %wx%h -ar 44100 -ac 2 -v 0 -f flv -vcodec libx264 -preset superfast -threads 0 -

wtv video
wtv
flv
ffmpeg -ss %o -i %s -async 30 -b %bk -r 23-.976 -s %wx%h -ar 44100 -ac 2 -v 0 -f flv -vcodec libx264 -preset fast -threads 0 -

Subwiji
mp3
mp3
Audioffmpeg -f mp3 -i %s -ab %bk -v 0 -f mp3 -

m4a/FLAC audio
m4a flac
mp3
Audioffmpeg -i %s -ab 320k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -v 0 -f mp3 -
there are many problems with transcoding and diffrent ffmpeg versions, which settings work for you best?

best regards
chali
Contributor
Contributor

Re: [FAQ] Transcoding

Unread post by chali »

flv/h264 video
avi mpg mpeg mp4 mkv mov wmv ogv divx m2ts
mp4
ffmpeg -ss %o -i %s -async 1 -b %bk -s %wx%h -ar 44100 -ac 2 -v 0 -f flv -vcodec libx264 -strict experimental -preset superfast -threads 4 -v 0 -

Hi

I use the following for video, I have no idea what it does but for my movies that are all in the format (mp4/h264 Acc ffmpg) it works well (it's the only way that I found that allows me to fast forward and back without the video freezes)

I have no idea if there is any difference from the original, but it seems to work. (I just wonder if I should change the mp3 to acc instead, anyone have any idea about it?)

if anyone cope it would be much nice to get explained what the different things in transkoding line and HTTP Live Streaming command has for meaning

Ps excuse the bad grammar, I use google translate

/ Chali
Last edited by chali on 30 Mar 2013, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by gurutech »

I am finding that by adding "mp3" to the list of source formats for mp3 audio, I am getting far fewer songs that can't be transcoded, which result in the music stopping.
chali
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by chali »

Hi

I came up with this last night, works very well for my movies
both HD and DVD all in h264 format (mp4).
this removes virtually all of my lag

ffmpeg -ss %o -i %s -async 2 -b %bk -s %wx%h -ar 44100 -ac 2 -v 0 -f flv -vcodec libx264 -preset superfast -strict experimental -threads 4 -

and this for http Live Stream: (ffmpeg -ss %o -t %d -i %s -async 2 -b %bk -s %wx%h -ar 44100 -ac 2 -v 0 -f mpegts -vcodec libx264 -preset superfast -acodec libmp3lame -strict experimental -threads 4 -)

Regards / Chali
These users thanked the author chali for the post (total 2):
Madsonicgenimac
Rating: 15.38%
imnotme

Unread post by imnotme »

Hi,

I read that the new player support mp4, x/h264 and flv, is it possible to have a profile using mpg4 and 360p/480p for slow cpu nases?
I haven't got around reading up on it, but I rather having a smaller and less quality film on my phone/pad than a schoppy one.

Thanks
rothchild
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by rothchild »

Would someone be able to publish the settings for 'not transcoding' for various audio formats?

My home network is generally fast enough tot stream my FLACs at full res, but I'm never quite sure what the settings are meant to be to do this? As a follow up, if I'm able to stream FLAC it stands to reason that I can also stream anything smaller than that too (I have a few OGGs and MP3s) it strikes me there's no reason in subjecting them to transcoding either.
flvinny521
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by flvinny521 »

rothchild wrote:Would someone be able to publish the settings for 'not transcoding' for various audio formats?

My home network is generally fast enough tot stream my FLACs at full res, but I'm never quite sure what the settings are meant to be to do this? As a follow up, if I'm able to stream FLAC it stands to reason that I can also stream anything smaller than that too (I have a few OGGs and MP3s) it strikes me there's no reason in subjecting them to transcoding either.
Have you tried just disabling all transcode strings for your player and trying to play an example of all the different filetypes you have? I believe I read that FLAC streaming is not possible using subsonic, so you'd probably HAVE to transcode those files to max bitrate mp3s (or ogg, or whatever your preference is) at 320Kbps.
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

rothchild wrote:Would someone be able to publish the settings for 'not transcoding' for various audio formats?

To not transcode a particular file type, just delete it from the extensions listed in the "Convert from" block of the transcode string.

Although that will eliminate the transcoding, it won't allow the stream to play in the default web player as it can only handle 3 audio file types: AAC, MP3 and Vorbis.

In my experience, for some reason in Sub/Madsonic it won't handle ogg directly and I haven't tested aac, but I think the webplayer can only handle mp3 in it's current setup. To get flac playback untranscoded you'd have to set it up to go to an external player that can play flac, but that too can get tricky to set up. If I were to attempt it, I'd probably test with VLC first, but theoretically any player that handles flac well should work.

External player set up can be troublesome, but the main issue to be aware of is that the player has to be set up as the default program for handling the file type your trying to play. So first confirm on the desktop what is the default program it calls.

HTH