Madsonic Development in Eclipse [Help]

Madsonic Development Section
chupalo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Madsonic Development in Eclipse [Help]

Unread post by chupalo »

Howdy,

I'm a Java developer but haven't had much exposure to Maven or Spring professionally. I've just abandoned Subsonic due to ongoing fees and using Madsonic. I would love to get Madsonic configured and compiled in Eclipse but am having a hard time. Are there any resources available that can help me get started?

I have started with some of the tools listed here:
http://forum.madsonic.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=723

Eclipse Mars
JDK 1.8_51
Spring Tool Suite 3.7
Madsonic 5.1 5260 code base

I tried creating:
- a Java project and converting it to a Maven project
- a Maven project
- a Spring project > Simple Spring Maven

I think I get closest using the Spring project but the main hangup for me right now is that the Maven Dependencies folder in Eclipse is completely empty. I see no error related to Maven dependencies and when I check the child pom.xml files the dependencies seem to resolve correctly, but for some reason that eludes me the project in Eclipse won't contain any of the jars and therefore not compile due to missing libraries.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to sort this out I would greatly appreciate it.

- CL
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Re: Madsonic Development in Eclipse [Help]

Unread post by Madsonic »

Hi there,

Madsonic will be developed on the three major platforms (Windows, Linux, OSX) therefore the software development environment is much the same.

Madsonic use the maven life-cycle for building https://maven.apache.org/guides/introdu ... cycle.html

Check your requirements for each OS environment

* Apache Maven (https://maven.apache.org/)
* JAVA JDK (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... index.html)
* Use Eclipse or Spring IDE (https://eclipse.org or https://spring.io/tools)

Code: Select all

console: javac -version
check within your sourcecode folder

Code: Select all

console: mvn -version
Checks

Check your IDE JAVA JDK path config.

Now you are able to build from command line or IDE Environment.

Put all your project stuff into a separated Eclipse/Spring workspace/repository for Madsonic.

* Create IDE workspace
* Import project -> Maven -> Existing Maven Projects -> select source folder

Depending of your OS this can take a while (depending source code library's 600MB - 1.2GB)
build.png
try to build the project.

best regards
chupalo

Unread post by chupalo »

Madevil,

I appreciate the reply immensely.

I followed your directions and things look promising but I do have a few errors. I'm not certain in what order these might be important so will quickly list them out. I also could not find a mention of which Maven version I should be using, but am on 3.3.3 if that should make a difference. Java is 1.8_51.

Maven Dependency Problems
Missing artifact
- org:jaudiotagger:jar:2.0.4-SNAPSHOT pom.xml /madsonic-main line 279
- org.directwebremoting:dwr:jar:3.0.0-rc3-SNAPSHOT pom.xml /madsonic-main

Maven Problems
- Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.7:run (execution: default, phase: generate-resources) pom.xml /madsonic-main line 407 Maven Project Build Lifecycle Mapping Problem
- Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: org.mortbay.jetty:jetty-jspc-maven-plugin:8.1.16.v20140903:jspc (execution: jspc, phase: process-classes) pom.xml /madsonic-main line 474 Maven Project Build Lifecycle Mapping Problem

I feel close! :-)

Thanks again

- CL
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Unread post by Madsonic »

chupalo wrote:Madevil,

I appreciate the reply immensely.

I followed your directions and things look promising but I do have a few errors. I'm not certain in what order these might be important so will quickly list them out. I also could not find a mention of which Maven version I should be using, but am on 3.3.3 if that should make a difference. Java is 1.8_51.
no, that's ok.
chupalo wrote: Maven Dependency Problems
Missing artifact
just simply copy the repo folder to your local repository
chupalo wrote: Maven Problems
- Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.7:run (execution: default, phase: generate-resources) pom.xml /madsonic-main line 407 Maven Project Build Lifecycle Mapping Problem
- Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: org.mortbay.jetty:jetty-jspc-maven-plugin:8.1.16.v20140903:jspc (execution: jspc, phase: process-classes) pom.xml /madsonic-main line 474 Maven Project Build Lifecycle Mapping Problem
I feel close! :-)
Thanks again
- CL
mark this goal as ignored with eclipse build, just do the trick. :D

best regards
chupalo

Unread post by chupalo »

Madevil wrote:
chupalo wrote: Maven Dependency Problems
Missing artifact
just simply copy the repo folder to your local repository
I copied the repo folder and one of the dependencies errors dropped out (jaudiotagger). DWR is still an error with missing artifact. I don't see either of these jars in the repo folder. Why would one drop out? And also why would you expect this to remedy the error? Am trying to learn as I go here.
Madevil wrote:
chupalo wrote: Maven Problems
mark this goal as ignored with eclipse build, just do the trick. :D
Is there a quick answer or link that can help explain why ignoring this is okay? Again, trying to understand.

Eclipse obviously won't compile correctly until this last maven dependency is remedied.

Thanks again for your help. I am really excited to get this running in debug mode and get under the hood. :-)

-CL