genre tag changing to number

Need help? Post your questions here.
dreagan
Has thanked: 0

genre tag changing to number

Unread post by dreagan »

I am trying to systematically clean up my music tags.
Recently I noticed that one of my tags, "black metal", is acting up. When I change the tags to Black Metal and I save, it all seems fine, until I return to the album overview, the tags have changed to "138". I have no problem with other tags / genres.

I also tried changing all 138 tags to Acapella tags and performing a full rescan with cleanup afterwards to make sure the 138 tag was completely gone from my DB. And it was, it was completely gone. But then I changed one album back to Black Metal and it changed back to 138... :/

Is there any way to counter this?
madsub

Re: genre tag changing to number

Unread post by madsub »

138 is the code number for Black Metal in extended ID3V1.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_ID3v1-Genres.

Are you sure that you have ID3V2 tags written to your files?.
Did you change the genre with external software or inside Madsonic?
These users thanked the author madsub for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
dreagan

Unread post by dreagan »

I originally saved my tags in Tagscanner, where I store the data in all available tags (to avoid faults in software): ID3v1, ID3v2 and APEv2.
It's when I edit the tag in Madsonic that the genre (in Madsonic only) is changed to its ID3v1 genre number.

When I go back to Tagscanner and save again, the tags in Madsonic are ok again, even without scanning again. But When I edit the tags in Madsonic again, the genre changes to 138.
Even when I remove the ID3v1 and APE tags completely, check back in Madsonic (they're fine again) and edit the tags there, it changes it back to 138.

I'll now try and remove the ID3v1 tag again and do a rescan, just to be sure.
dreagan

Unread post by dreagan »

And a rescan doesn't fix anything. It recognizes the Black Metal tag correctly, but when I change to something else, like Ambient, and back, it becomes 138 again.

I also changed the setting to fill that selection list at the top with my own genres instead of the ID3v1 defaults. But that didn't help either.