Need help? Post your questions here.
Joshua B
Contributor
Contributor
Has thanked: 0

Solved Chromecast stopping/buffering FLAC

Unread post by Joshua B »

My solution for FLAC buffering problems with Madsonic/Chromecast

I solved my buffering issue by logging into my Madsonic server software and turning off "audio->mp3" transcoding. I'll tell you exactly how I did it below. First, some context:

I have three Chromecast devices:
1. Chromecast Audio with Ethernet adapter connected to wired gigabit home network
2. Chromecast Audio connected to 5GHz WiFi
3. Chromecast 2 connected to receiver via HDMI & Ethernet adapter

I stream my FLAC music collection from my Windows 7 HTPC/server to the Chromecast devices. On my HTPC/server, Madsonic streams my music to my Android phone via the D-Sub app. D-Sub is Chromecast compatible.

Recently songs were stopping and buffering, then continuing, stopping and buffering, continuing, or just plain stopping altogether.

My solution was to login to Madsonic > Settings > Players
Select Player > DSubCC
Scroll to "Active transcodings" section *Uncheck "audio->mp3"
Save & restart Madsonic

It appears that whenever I used Chromecast in D-Sub, Madsonic was attempting to convert my FLAC files to MP3. My Chromecast devices have native FLAC support, so I did not want them converted to MP3. As soon as I turned off "audio->mp3" transcoding, my buffering problems went away and Chromecast was far more responsive. Performance became rock-solid.

I hope this helps those of you that were frustrated with streaming your FLAC files at home via Madsonic.
These users thanked the author Joshua B for the post (total 3):
MadsoniceKeitharamisathei
Rating: 23.08%