Chromecast = NoGo

Need help? Post your questions here.
VikingOy

Chromecast = NoGo

Unread post by VikingOy »

I'm using chrome browser Version 54.0.2840.99 m (64-bit) on a Windows 10 version 1607 (Build 14393.447) running Madsonic 6.1.8740 Premium in Docker.
I have a Chrome AudioCast that works just perfect with all my other apps (windows + Android + iPhone), but Madsonic does not work.
When I click on the Chromecast icon on the Madsonic Taskbar, the Chrome dialog opens and I can select the AudiaCast. I hear the familiar 'blip' in my speakers, but the Play button in Madsonic doesn't react on mous clicks. It isn't like it appears to be playing, just missing the sound - no, it doesn't even change into the pause icon. It doesn't make any difference if I right click on an album and press play. Still nothing happens. I I have a track playing locally, and then switch to cast while playing, playback immediately stops - and that's it. When I switch casting off again, playback resumes locally.
I suspect that Madsonic running inside a container isn't able to parse the URL correctly to the Chromecast.
Is there anyway I can debug this - or investigate a log to see what's going on?
troycarpenter

Re: Chromecast = NoGo

Unread post by troycarpenter »

Now that i've got a number of my other issues fixed, I can now confirm this issue as well. I am using Chrome Version 55.0.2883.87 m with MADSONIC 6.2.9080.2a5cd1f.20161222.0601.

With the built-in madsonic music player, I can start playing music and hear it through my laptop speakers. Once I hit the cast button on the player, it brings up the list of Chromecast devices (looks to be provided by the Chrome browser). When I select a Chromecast Audio device, it plays the connect sound, but nothing happens in the player until I hit the cast button again to return sound back to the web player.

HOWEVER, if while playing the music in the Chrome browser as normal, I use the browser's cast function, then it casts just fine. This apparently only works with the Chrome browser. Firefox didn't give me the chromecast button on the player, and the browser itself doesn't support chromecast.

So it seems the work around is to play the file normally in Chrome, but use the browser's cast function instead of the one on the player.
VikingOy

Unread post by VikingOy »

Hi @troycarpenter,

The cast function you refer to is the one nativly built into chrome. It allows you to cast anything on screen, including audio, but it has nothing to do with Madsonic.
I think it is sad that Madsonic advertise chromecast compatibility like they do when it does not work at all.
Even worse is it that nobody seems to care at all what is posted in this forum.

Madsonic is a fine program, but the backup and support from its makers are definitely way below par. :cry:
troycarpenter

Unread post by troycarpenter »

Yes, it is tied to the browser. In reality, I don't think there is a difference between the app within the browser casting vs. the browser itself. I also said that I tried this with Firefox and the web player didn't even give me a cast option. It's clear that the ability to cast (from the browser or the web app inside the browser) is tied to the browser's access to the Chromecast library, and judging by the quick web search I did, it's clear that there are no chromecast libraries for Firefox (don't know about IE, I just get a blank screen when I try to use it with Madsonic lately).

I do agree with you, though, that it would be nice if the web player could access Chromecast regardless of which browser it running. I don't write HTML5 or Flash web apps, so I don't know if that's possible.