Need a way to fetch authenticated podcasts

Got an idea? Missing something? Post your feature request here.
troycarpenter

Need a way to fetch authenticated podcasts

Unread post by troycarpenter »

I have a podcast that I have paid for a subscription. The RSS feed and content are behind a password protected URL, and so prompts for a username and password. At first I was able to use the http://username:password@hostname.com method, but somewhere along the line the podcaster figured that out and now I am prompted for a password even when adding the usrename:password to the URL as before.

I would like a way to have Madsonic be told that a podcast needs a username and password when adding it, and be able to save and use a username/password for an authenticated podcast. That way, when fetching, Madsonic can use the saved username and password to access the podcast xml and content.

EDIT: replaced some instances of "subscribed" to "authenticated"
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Re: Need a way to fetch authenticated podcasts

Unread post by Madsonic »

troycarpenter

Unread post by troycarpenter »

Madevil wrote:Does it work with https ?

https://USER:PASSWORD@server.com/podcast-xml/premium/
So for the user involved who is sharing their podcast, it would appear that his account was suspended by the provider. He has contacted the provider's support, but in the meantime what I don't know is whether or not it was suspended due to using that type of URL, or for another reason. That method worked for a week until yesterday afternoon. It's also possible it was suspended because the podcast setting was once an hour, but the podcast is only updated around 4pm EST (another feature idea...individual podcast scheduling, and the addition of more checking intervals (like 4, 6, 12 hours).

So if that solution is supposed to work for these type of podcasts, then that's great. However, it wasn't obvious offhand that that was the way to do this, and we found it last week after a quick web search.
These users thanked the author troycarpenter for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Unread post by Madsonic »

This is a common way to fetch subscribed podcasts, so if the account is reactivated it should work. :thumbsup:

With the next Madsonic build, more options are added to sync the podcasts. :)
podcast-options.png
podcast-options.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 4429 times
These users thanked the author Madsonic for the post:
troycarpenter
Rating: 7.69%