Trouble Setting Up and Using New Node

Madsonic Node 6.x
c.jordan84
Has thanked: 0

Trouble Setting Up and Using New Node

Unread post by c.jordan84 »

Code: Select all

=========================================================================================
 VERSION:      MADSONIC 6.2 | BUILD: 8840 
 SERVLET:      JETTY
 SERVER:       CPU: AMD A6-3600 | ARCH: X64 | MEMORY: 5GB | HDD: 1TB
 SYSTEM:       SERVER
 INSTALLER:    RPM
 JAVA:         OPENJDK 1.8
 BROWSER:      CHROME 54
 CLIENT:       NODE 6.1.8740
 DESCRIPTION:  MULTIPLE ISSUES - SEE BELOW
 REPRODUCIBLE: YES
=========================================================================================
Having multiple issues attempting to set up a streaming node on a Raspberry Pi 3 running latest Raspbian image with Oracle Java 1.8. Some of these issues are immediately addressable, however I'm at a "stuck" point. Here are the minor issues, which I was able to fix:

1) After decompressing the node archive, I attempted to run madsonic-node.sh, but received an error message. It was trying to execute madsonic-node-booter.jar, however the only jar file in the directory is madsonic-node.jar. Once I edited madsonic-node.sh and pointed it to the correct file, the service was able to start.

2) I was able to create a node entry in the server and send a playlist to the node. When I clicked "Start", an error occurred on the node saying access was denied to /var/madsonic-node/transcode/ffmpeg. I had to set chmod +x on /var/madsonic-node/transcode/ffmpeg to get past this issue.

There are two main issues that I currently cannot get past:

1) After sending a playlist to the node and clicking "Start", I receive the following error message at the node (NOTE: This board complained about "off-site URLs" in this post, so I added spaces to the Java package names):

[2016-11-06 07:15:13] [INFO ] [qtp16924379-16] PlaylistController - Playing stream - (STREAM URL OMITTED) offset: 0
[2016-11-06 07:15:13] [INFO ] [/var/madsonic-node/transcode/ffmpeg InputStreamLogger] InputStreamReaderThread - (/var/madsonic-node/transcode/ffmpeg) /var/madsonic-node/transcode/ffmpeg: 1: /var/madsonic-node/transcode/ffmpeg: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
[2016-11-06 07:15:13] [DEBUG] [qtp16924379-16] LocalAudioPlayer - Opened line com . sun . media . sound . DirectAudioDevice$DirectSDL@3bcf48
[2016-11-06 07:15:13] [DEBUG] [qtp16924379-16] PlaylistController - changeState: PLAYING
[2016-11-06 07:15:13] [DEBUG] [Thread-22] PlaylistController - changeState: EOM
[2016-11-06 07:15:13] [DEBUG] [Thread-22] LocalAudioPlayer - CLOSED line com . sun . media . sound . DirectAudioDevice$DirectSDL@3bcf48
I have tried many different files and the result is the same. There appears to be a missing closing parenthesis inside the node source code. I did verify that I am able to play audio from the Raspberry Pi if I curl the stream URL, pipe it to ffmpeg, and pipe again to aplay. Thus, this issue appears to be purely on the node's side.

2) Since I couldn't use the node to play from a playlist, I tried using it as a remote jukebox. However, even though the node is showing as online and enabled in the Node menu, none of the players in the Players menu will allow me to select "Node" as the player type. It is simply a grayed-out option on the page, even for the Admin user. I feel like I might be doing something wrong here, but I haven't found anything in documentation or forum that would give me a clue on this particular issue.
These users thanked the author c.jordan84 for the post:
hotfoot27
Rating: 7.69%
c.jordan84

Re: Trouble Setting Up and Using New Node

Update: I was able to fix the ffmpeg issue by renaming the /var/madsonic-node/transcode/ffmpeg binary to something else and creating a symbolic link to the system ffmpeg within the transcode folder. My problem now is that the playlist doesn't advance without manual intervention. I currently have a helper service set up to monitor the playback status and issue a "skip" API call when playback="false" is detected. Unfortunately, this interferes with the "stop" and "resume" buttons in the web UI, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Also, more information on the "register" call from the node UI. I had to perform some packet tracing to figure this out, but the node is sending registration requests over port 8888 UDP to the Madsonic server host. Once I opened the port, the node receives a reply (even though to my knowledge there's nothing listening on that port). I thought perhaps this would enable the "Node" option in Players, but it did not.

I tried forcing the player to node by setting technology = 'NODE' in the Players table, which had an interesting effect. When I played a file, the server log showed a row saying the admin was "syncing" a file rather than "streaming". I saw some packet activity going from the server to the node at that point, but there was no audio nor any other signs of the file being received.
These users thanked the author c.jordan84 for the post:
IrishMLK
Rating: 7.69%
pinion
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by pinion »

For whatever reason my madsonic-node.properties had

madsonic.home=\\var\\madsonic-node
in it which had the slashes the wrong way plus the ffmpeg library is in /var/madsonic anyway so I changed it to

madsonic.home=//var//madsonic
but I'm still not able to get it to work. After transferring to it from my madsonic server and clicking skip and what not to get it to do something...anything... I get a "javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException"

That's about as far as I got with it. Thanks for starting this post or I'd still be at the beginning.
hotfoot27
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by hotfoot27 »

I'm experiencing the exact same error with my install. All the dot points are word for word the same.

Latest Jesse on Pi
Java 1.7

Is anyone able to offer up any clues?
c.jordan84

How do you guys have your sound configured? HDMI output? USB? Composite? If you use aplay with a wav file, do you get sound output?