Open Discussion: Rework Playlist Workflow

Got an idea? Missing something? Post your feature request here.
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Open Discussion: Rework Playlist Workflow

Unread post by Madsonic »

To make the Playlist workflow better i need your feedback to this function:

How do you use it now?
How could it be improved?
Interface Changes?
What is missing?
Style Guidelines?

Links: http://forum.madsonic.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=499

Any Feedback to this feature is appreciated!

best regards
Madevil
newburns

Re: Open Discussion: Rework Playlist Workflow

Unread post by newburns »

I use the server as a public list for performing arts groups solely for rehearsing.
Each group creates their own playlists specific to their group and date (ie Group 1 2013)
In order to create a playlist right now, they must create a queue, select the playlist, edit the playlist, rename it, and select public.

I would rather, once a playlist is created it automatically redirects to that playlist edit screen so that it can be renamed and selected as public as the following step.
So now they will create a queue, create playlist, rename, and select as public.

Any other suggestions?
These users thanked the author newburns for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
nelgin
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by nelgin »

I posted this elsewhere but to keep it together I thought I would share the idea here.

Too many times I've created a random playlist and it'll go wild and put a lot of inappropriate songs together (new age/atmosphere should probably not come after Slipknot for example). It screws with the senses.

Using Last.fm's API, you can request for similar artists. As long as you seed with some favorites, it can go and pull back a list which you can then look for in the music library. There may be some logic to work for example if I put in Genesis, then it could find Peter Gabrial, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford, Mike and the Mechanics, Tony Banks, etc...so there's a risk of getting too much that sounds the same. There's also a similar songs option I think. It would be good to make use of this technology to populate playlists.

I'd also like to see a perpetual random playlist, where I don't have to select how many songs I want, just let it keep playing until I am done.
GrindheadJim

Unread post by GrindheadJim »

I think that playlist functionality should be controlled by three main types:

genre

like artists

"true" random

This way, you have the full gamut of experiences. Also, a checkbox for "Automatically save as new playlist", with a field to name it would be really great.
nelgin

Unread post by nelgin »

I'm having a problem with genre right now - because so many songs can fit into multiple genres, and also they change over the years. For example classic rock stations are playing songs from the 80's not the late 60's and 70's, and oldies stations are also doing the same, early 80's stuff. I've coined a name "classic oldies" for stuff from the 50's to 70's that would have been classed as oldies...

but what would you class "Jumpin' Jack Flash" so? oldies? classic rock? something else? It's not like you can classify one band as a certain genre any more either. Take Jah Wobble and the Invaders of the Heart album "Rising Above Bedlam", this has songs ranging from chart pop music to what I would probably classify as indo-ska or something like that.

It's so hard to make random lists from diverse collections. Even with Pandora I can go from rock to atmospheric and it's just odd.
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by gurutech »

Nelgin - that's a good point... I have a ton of stuff from the 80's that was considered "Heavy Metal" when it was released (GnR, etc...) that's considered "Hard Rock" now, and like you said, it's being played on the "classic rock" stations.

For me personally though, I try to classify my music as it would be classified when it was released. This way I don't have to change anything :) and it gives my listeners the "nostalgic" feeling (to a point).
nelgin

Unread post by nelgin »

I understand about classifying things as they were but then you run into the issue of the changing genre issue. If you want heavy rock you're going to get all different combination depending when they were released. There are just too many genres and they move too fast. You can have multiple genre's in mp3 files by using a separator, and flac, ogg and a few others allow for multiple genres but I'm not sure if madsonic can handle that and who really has the time to go in and figure it out. You can't even do it by artist because they change over the years. Genesis forever was classed as progressive until they started getting into the 80's and making more commercially viable pop.
bcrivers

Unread post by bcrivers »

Along the discussion of Playlists. Can we improve the load and edit times. Right now it takes about 45 seconds or so to open or work on a given playlist.
rburns

Unread post by rburns »

Is this still being looked at.
Even to just have the small window after playlist creation to name the playlist. That little bit would be super handy. Playlists created by dates are horrible. Is it possible to name the playlist immediately after playlist creation, during the creation process?
These users thanked the author rburns for the post:
Madsonic
rburns

Unread post by rburns »

No one else is bothered by the playlist creation workflow? I can't be the only one who feels it takes way too many steps to create a playlist.
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by gurutech »

With the new "pandora" feature, I don't bother with playlists... lol

I just find a song, play it, and enable pandora mode, and I'm set for the day....
rburns

Unread post by rburns »

Personally, I'm on board with Gurutech....

However, I use this for a church.
The performing arts ministries (groups) create playlist for their group to listen to specifically for practice and rehearsals. The issue is other group leaders creating playlist are not the most technical and creating playlists seems to cause an issue.
mrdrew

Unread post by mrdrew »

I spent some time dinking around with this. How about playing music at a party for friends? The worst thing you can do is hit the wrong button and have the music stop. Currently the are a bunch of unlabeled buttons that will stop the current playback.

I'd like to see a more prominent and simple Now Playing playlist. It's tricky to move between the picture of the current playing song window (album + any visualizations) and the actual list of what's playing and what will be played. Moving back and forth looks like it's a swipe, but if you try and swipe it, it fast-forwards the track. Not what I was expecting.

How about making the interface into something more like a swiping tree. Left genre > artists > album > tracks on right.

The playlist could be below. You find a track/album/artist long press makes it float, then swipe it down to the Now Playing playlist where it adds to the end.

You'd need to be able to grab that playlist from the bottom and bring it up. Vice versa you can grab the rest of the interface from the top and bring it back down.

Modifying the play list. I really like the hold and float to change the order. While it's floating you should be able to swipe it left or right off the playlist.
xefil

Unread post by xefil »

Hello!

I was ready to ask a new feature request about playlists, then I saw this thread.
Well, I'm often listen different albums to add favourite tracks to an existing playlist. This is not so simple. Even if I use different browsers and players, listen to tracks and trying to add new songs to an existing playlist is not easy. I've to load the playlist, add new songs and resave it. Even saving it, it creates a new playlist with date-time. And often the current playlist will be overwritten by the playlist I use to browse/listen the albums in which I'm searching for new tracks.
It would be great to have an option to add a selected track to an existing saved playlist. THAT would be great!
In addition, when the "Play Top Tracks" of an artist will be an implemented feature, this would work great in addition to the above request.
Image if I would like to create a playlist of different artists adding top tracks to a saved playlist....

Thank's

Simon
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Re: AW: Open Discussion: Rework Playlist Workflow

Unread post by Madsonic »

Hi there,

Maybe you have overseen the possibility to add selected tracks from playqueue to an existing playlist. Use the dropdown box in the playqueue frame.

Best regards
These users thanked the author Madsonic for the post:
xefil